Narrowed it down to the D40/D50

Mr. Fingers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I made a choice of the Nikon D40 & D50, i'm told the D50 is better as it's more compatible with lens's but the D40 is obviously better for beginners from what i've read, & much smaller.
They seem to be around the same price on the net but the D40 comes in cheaper with the 18-55mm lens & a memory card where as the D50 a bit more.
So, the cheapest place i've seen them is Park Camera's which was 340(pounds) with the lens & 1gb card, does anyone know of any other good online stores that have good prices?

Thank you.

Park also have the D50 (refurbished) with kit lens, for £319.99. If I were investing in Nikon I'd be inclined to go for the D50, since I like primes and many standard primes (as well as zooms) won't autofocus on the D40. Having said that, not everyone wants the same lenses and not everyone cares about having autofocus. The D40 no doubt has a couple of refinements on the D50 (although certain functions are gone) so I'm sure either would be great.

Yes the D-50 will give you more options in terms of lens selection, either one would make a fine "beginers camera". If cost and weight is a concern, go with the D40, otherwise IMHO, the D-50 may give you more long term flexibility with lens choice.

Thanks alot people, well it looks as tho the weight & price & the easier functions on the D40 are very good, but then it doesn't have auto-focus (is this on some lens's or all?) I'm guessing the AF next to a lens is Auto-Focus (sorry lol) & the D50 does. So only a couple of things between them really, i think if i can find one for the cheapest when the day comes then that'll be the one as there's obviously not much in it at all, & by the time i've started collecting a few lens's i'll probably of upgraded anyway.
What condition are refurbished camera's usually in because it doesn't specify any marks etc.

Chris.

Your misunderstanding... the D40 DOES have Autofocus, but only with the newest AF-S lenses by Nikon. It won't be compatible with some of the most popular lenses, the most obvious one being the Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens, which is my favorite lens of all.

I just went through this. You are thinking the D50 is somehow less of a camera because it's OLDER and I am telling you, you're wrong. It's more solid (Ive held both) and seems to be a little faster in my mind, but that could be just me. Also, it has a TOP LCD, which even though is not lit, is a LOT easier than finding everything in the little screen on the back and in the viewfinder. Makes my life MUCH easier.

Either way you're making a smart decision (Nikon-fan), but if you want to upgrade later on, get the D50 now. It's closer in relation to the D80 and the D200.

I got my D50 refurbished by Nikon USA through Adorama, and it was FLAWLESS. Not a mark on it.

A little comparison:

PROS for D50 over the D40:
Use of a MUCH wider variety of lenses...
5 area TTL verses the D40's 3 area.
Exposure stops in 1/3 or 1/2
Exposure or white balance bracketing.
LCD on top
Longer lasting battery

PROS for D40:
In camera retouching (I dont know WHY anyone would do this though)
Lighter (Not a bonus to me, but you mentioned it)_\
Larger LCD screen on back.
Selectable max ISO and min Shutter speed
ISO 3200 with boost

Now obviously being a noob, most of the above means nothing to me at this point in time, but i will start to learn & probably be grateful once i start understanding & if i did upgrade the lens's etc.
Well, i think that's cleared it up, i knew the D50 wasn't less of a camera but opted for the D40 because i watched a review & it said it was much easier for the new user with various help options if you got stuck, the D50 seems one i'll have to figure out myself & ask you guys but that's probably all part of photography.
I shall be getting the D50 then & thank you guys for the help.

The stock lens the 18-55 i think it is, are there any links with that lens used with the D50, i've searched Google but can't be sure if there with that lens or not.

Much appreciated, great help.

Chris.

one of the reasons that would make you go for the D40 is precisely one of the main reasons for me to go for the D50: body weigh and dimensions.

D50 feels much more like an SLR than the D40, which is a kind of bridge between P&S and SLR (in fact, it seems it was designed for that).

and then of course, lenses compatibility.

no doubt, I'd choose the D50, between the two

one of the reasons that would make you go for the D40 is precisely one of the main reasons for me to go for the D50: body weigh and dimensions.

D50 feels much more like an SLR than the D40, which is a kind of bridge between P&S and SLR (in fact, it seems it was designed for that).

and then of course, lenses compatibility.

no doubt, I'd choose the D50, between the two

Good point, i don't know how the SLR's feel but i can see what you mean about the bigger camera, making it feel more like a SLR. Anywho, i'm sticking with this choice now, should be getting it in a few weeks now, hopefully & can't wait.

Will any SD cards work in these camera's as i understand they're not that cheap to buy, would something like this one on ebay be O.K? http://tinyurl.com/27b9jc

to my view (to my feel) the feeling of a camera matters a lot. as a matter of fact, i think it is a good thing to do, when one can do it, to have the different cameras to think about and just feel them on your hands.

a nice MF SLR is an experience! to me, when you go plastic (as you do in all digitals but pro and some semi-pro), the feel is not the same anymore. then you have the weight, dimensions and shape of the camera. and it is in this sense that i prefer the D50 over the D40

but all that about the feel is something you will experience yourself and find out whether it really matters to you as it matters to others like me. In case it does, don't be surprise if you start feeling like getting some old SLR!

about the SD card, I don't see why that one you link to wouldn't work. sure it will. but if you want to learn more about that... just redirect you
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81281

good luck!

Want an affordable fast camera with a nice little bundle of features? Pentax K100D. Just look it up and read a little.

If that isn't your piece of pie then D50. WAY better(than D40).

to my view (to my feel) the feeling of a camera matters a lot. as a matter of fact, i think it is a good thing to do, when one can do it, to have the different cameras to think about and just feel them on your hands.

a nice MF SLR is an experience! to me, when you go plastic (as you do in all digitals but pro and some semi-pro), the feel is not the same anymore. then you have the weight, dimensions and shape of the camera. and it is in this sense that i prefer the D50 over the D40

but all that about the feel is something you will experience yourself and find out whether it really matters to you as it matters to others like me. In case it does, don't be surprise if you start feeling like getting some old SLR!

about the SD card, I don't see why that one you link to wouldn't work. sure it will. but if you want to learn more about that... just redirect you
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81281

good luck!

Nice one, thanks again for all the info, appreciate it.

Want an affordable fast camera with a nice little bundle of features? Pentax K100D. Just look it up and read a little.

If that isn't your piece of pie then D50. WAY better(than D40).

I've got my heart set on the D50 now. :D

Thanks anyway, will have a butchers.

They are both great beginner cameras. My first DSLR was a D50, and I loved it. Once I began to get the hang of it (as compared to film), I sold a few prints and eventually upgraded to the D200. I suggest getting the D50 so that you have more lens choice. The D50 is great camera.

Most reactions

Back