Natural Light Portrait Tips Wanted

Kyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I'm a newbie to the forum and I'm just getting aquainted with my first SLR camera. I received it for Christmas. I've always loved photography and made the best out of my point and shoots.

I want to eventually do family, wedding and baby photography so I will be practicing on my friends children.

Just looking for any tips, general settings used for taking photos of kids inside in natural light.

Thanks!

All light is made of the same thing - photons, and is natural light.
Some light comes from the Sun, some from the incandescent or flourescent lights in our homes, and some from devices like camera strobe lights.

What you are referring to is available or ambient lighting.

One of the big advantages of using strobed (flash) lighting is the ability to control 2 separate exposures (ambient & strobed) with a single shutter release. That cannot be done with only ambient or available light.

Incandescent, flourescent lighting, and window light have different color temperatures, requiring different white balance settings in the camera.
When incandescent or flourescent light is mixed with window light it becomes very difficult to set a correct white balance. Color from window coverings added to window light can also be problematic.

Window light is inconsistant. The Sun changes position in the sky throughout the year and clouds not only change the amount of sunlight available but they also change it's color. On clear days sunlight has a distinct blue cast and on heavy overcast days it has a distinctly gray cast. The direction a window faces has a lot to do with the quality of the light that is available.

When you use strobed light most of the variability associated with available light is absent giving the photographer much more control and flexability.

Welcome to TPF.

I want to eventually do family, wedding and baby photography so I will be practicing on my friends children.
If that truly is the case and your goal is to improve beyond snapshots, I suggest you start researching strobe lighting.

Thanks. I know there are many ways to photograph and everyone will have their own style.

I have a friend who does photography in another state and she uses MOSTLY available light. But I am definitely open to learning both ways!

Thanks. I know there are many ways to photograph and everyone will have their own style.

I have a friend who does photography in another state and she uses MOSTLY available light. But I am definitely open to learning both ways!

Look for nice window light on cloudy days, use blinds to create patterns
here's one using 2 windows 1 from behind and French doors and conservatory with snow covered roof as front light
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Competitions/Miscellaneous/IMG2473-1-2/1138646223_qPxXy-L.jpg

In the interim and without breaking the bank for flash photography, look into some good reflectors and diffusers for you to start controlling / directing the natural light to where it is needed in your image.

Many using only available light, do so because they lack a technical understanding of how strobed light photography and photographic lighting is done. It does add an additional layer of technical expertise that has to be learned.

Plus, many use the 'natural light' misnomer as a marketing and promotional tool, and/or to cover the fact they are far from being expert (professional) photographers able to produce quality images in any shooting situation.

Most reactions

Back