Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some images from an interesting (and warm) shoot the other evening. These are Royal Canadian Navy sailors conducting shipborne helicoper crash-rescue and firefighting training at the naval damage control training facility. The first image shows the helicopter simulator prior to 'burning'. It's fueled by liquid propane and each "burn" uses enough propane to fill about 2500 normal barbecue bottles. The remainder show the simulator 'burning' and the students practicing their firefighting procedures.

Fire_train%20%281%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%2811%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%2813%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%2814%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%2815%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%282%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%284%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%286%29.jpg

Fire_train%20%288%29.jpg

YIKES!!!!!!

Some good stuff here. Were any hotdogs or marshmallows harmed?

They used to have one in San Diego that used old fuel and oil as the fuel. It was fun (I was a Damage Controlman in the Navy). But, sadly with all the epa rules the modern simulators are propane and just not as much fun. :frown-new:

YIKES!!!!!!

Some good stuff here. Were any hotdogs or marshmallows harmed?
No, unfortunately.... ;(

Good stuff. I love fires.
Thanks Gary!

Nice set!
Thanks Mike!
They used to have one in San Diego that used old fuel and oil as the fuel. It was fun (I was a Damage Controlman in the Navy). But, sadly with all the epa rules the modern simulators are propane and just not as much fun. :frown-new:
No; the old one here used to burn diesel and waste oil, but was shut down about ten years ago.

Cool stuff, I would have tried a faster shutter speed (assuming you weren't shooting on the fastest) to give the fire more definition. Right now it looks all smudged.

3, 5, 6 & 8 are sweet. Thank you for posting.

interesting and some good shots there :)

Wow! These are great! Number 5!

Great pics! Looks like you had nice access!
Thanks, yes, I did and was able to get quite close. I may try again later in the year and actually suit up and get right in there.

Cool stuff, I would have tried a faster shutter speed (assuming you weren't shooting on the fastest) to give the fire more definition. Right now it looks all smudged.
Thanks! The smudging is a result of the freeware image size reducer that I use that crunches 5+mb .jpg files into ~75kb files in about half a second. The full res files are nicely sharp.

3, 5, 6 & 8 are sweet. Thank you for posting.
Thank-you!

interesting and some good shots there :)
Thanks Maria! :)

Wow! These are great! Number 5!
Much appreciated Wade!

Exceptional shots. You can feel the emotion. Had to do that in 1957 at Great Lakes. Put out a plane, also a bunker. Used foam on the plane. Spray on the bunker fire. Nasty part of boot training. Ed

wow! That's not the way I remember it at all. Nice shots.

Training is fun....the real thing is not.....I was #1 OBA in an engine room fire in 1974.....not much fun at all.....in fact, in my 5 1/2 yrs in the USN, I fought 4 fires.....that was 40 years ago....something you don't forget...great pics....

Most reactions

Back