NCAA basketball

iAstonish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I Sophomore photographer at West Virginia University. Still having trouble with color balance and dealing with the lighting, but these are a few of my recent shots.

WVU/Villanova game: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xsnalex/sets/72157623261120437/
WVU/Pitt game: http://www.flickr.com/photos/xsnalex/sets/72157623354884882/

Tips, critiques, compliments, all welcome.
set-72157623354884882

Last edited:
what are the shoes in your avatar? cause im droolin over here. and your photos are really well composed, are you using any flash?

Nike Flight Condor High's. They are so clean, I have a pair.

And I don't use any flash, not allowed to at the games.

Thanks for the feedback!

neat shots, if you can get slightly better court positions so more of your photos show the faces of the athletes, than you'll be golden. I noticed that some shots of the players dunking on the basket, you were to his right rather than right below him which would make a better perspective I think. If possible, you should get a f2.8 lens too :)

These last games were pretty big, so of course I got stuck sitting wherever I could find a spot on the baseline lol

I missed a few shots because the ref was directly in front of the action : p

I have a 1.8 lens, but its a 35mm prime and I had to sacrifice that speed for the large variety of ranges my 18-250mm offers.

Thanks for the tips though, I'm going to try to get better positioning next game. Any advice on the lighting? I found it to be a little bit dark and sometimes there is a yellow tint to some of the pictures do to the lighting and the colors.

Most of these were shot at 3200 ISO, 500 shutter speed, and 4.5 stop

I thought these shots were pretty well exposed for the most part. Some are a little dark but there isn't much to do about it when 1/500 and at 3200 ISO. I tend to put my camera on auto ISO so it'll compensate for the slight different lighting in different area of the field. I shot a wedding recently and my ISO was on auto and sometimes in just one given area, my ISO would vary between 1250-1600. The reason I mention this is because I noticed your exif was always at 1/500 3200 ISO and sometimes the pictures are a little overexposed, auto ISO would have help and the lower ISO would help with noise too.

Okay, thank you for the advice. I will test out a few different settings next game.

what camera are you using? try adjusting your exposure setting.

first off, as a UC student I have to say BOOO WVU. :greenpbl:

second, I'll say those are some nice shots.. they look pretty good. Sorta hard to suggest what setting to use since all arenas are pretty different.

I shoot for out paper here at Cincinnati and have done a handful of basketball games this season. Our arena calls for a white balance around 3700K and 1600 ISO.

If there is anything I'd say you NEED to do if you plan to continue to do is invest in a 70(80 for nikon I guess)-200mm f/2.8 lens. Don't worry about a lens with VR, since it doesn't stop motion and adds a ton of cost to the lens. It will make all the difference in shooting basketball.

Like I said, your shots are really nice. Just remember that when it comes to sports- especially basketball TIGHT is right. Keep your shots tight and don't cut limbs off.

Another thing that comes in really handy is shooting with two bodies. One with a long lens and one with a short. The set up I see all the pros (Associated Press, ESPN, Cincinnati Enquirer, etc.) on the baseline when I shoot games is a 70-200mm f/2.8 and 25-70 f/2.8 (they all use Canon cameras, nikon offerings may vary a little)

I shot all these games with a Nikon D50 and D90 (except one I used a Canon 50D)
here are some of my shots from UC basketball this year.
Collection: The News Record

Keep up the good work! Woo Big East!

haha that means a lot coming from a UC student/fan.

But seriously thanks for the advice, I will look into the lens you suggested. One question I have for you is how do you find the proper white balance for your arena? I put it at custom and shot at the lights, but the colors afterward had too much of a fake yellow tint. I just have my white balance on auto most of the time, because I'm unsure of what to do with it.

I have a nikon as well. Is there any way to keep the light off even when flash is off? The light that is next to the aperature adjustment?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back