Neat Mistake. How'd it happen?

ilovemy50d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I set up my tripod awhile back to do a photo of my husband and I. I came out with this picture:

IMG_2646 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can anyone tell me how it happened?
Speed 8.0
f/18.0
ISO 400

8 second exposure (caused by dim lighting indoors and f/18), which has exposed all the background incl. the tree properly. I am guessing you used a flash which lit up your husband while he was standing in the position he was in, then he left after the flash fired allowing the parts of the tree behind him to become part of the photo. IT is a cool photo I must say, much better than it would have come out if you used a more sensible shutter speed, ironically.

8 second exposure (caused by dim lighting indoors and f/18), which has exposed all the background incl. the tree properly. I am guessing you used a flash which lit up your husband while he was standing in the position he was in, then he left after the flash fired allowing the parts of the tree behind him to become part of the photo. IT is a cool photo I must say, much better than it would have come out if you used a more sensible shutter speed, ironically.

Thank you! I was surpised when I went back to look at the EXIF (is that right?) to see it was so long! Very hepful!

I discovered this 'ghost' effect a year or so ago by accident. Now my little brother insists I take his picture this way. It's very fun to experiment with. Longer exposure, drop out after about a third of it.

I think you were using a Canon camera with the mode dial set to "A". I can tell a flash was used. If my assumptions are right, here is what I think:

Problem is with a Canon camera set "A" and using a flash, the flash is set as a fill light. The flash is only used to light the closest subject, not the background. In order to properly expose the dimly lit background, the camera selected to use a slow shutter speed (especially since you set the aperture to 18). You probably should have set it to something like 4 or 5.6. With the slow shutter speed you can see the movement of your husband.

If you have a white ceiling try pointing the flash up next time and open the aperture more for indoors shots like this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back