Neck strap alternatives

Any hand grip means you can't sling it over your shoulder while, say, running like the dickens to get a shot. And you have to carry it all the time in your hand. That means you have one less free hand, and it can get tiring too.

What I'm really saying is don't replace the strap. Just tack on the grip too.

R-strap. Expensive but comfortable.

If you have two cameras, there's a 'CoupleR' you can use to join to r-straps at the back, good for taking weddings, etc -- long events.

The best $30 I ever spent:

loweprovoyagerc.jpg

Tamrac N-5057

i have the same one from lowepro... voyager C i think (the 7.5 cm one) super comfy, feels like your wearing one of those airplane pillows.

Here's a cheaper alternative to the Black Rapid.

Yep, that looks cheap. I don't think I'd trust my $4000 camera and lens combo to that ring on the 'biner. But, that's just me.

Like Fried mentioned the Black Rapid system can be set up to accomodate 2 straps. Very handy for a sports or wedding shooter or if you frequently need both hands.

The only place a hand strap make sense to me is in a studio setting.

The best $30 I ever spent:

loweprovoyagerc.jpg

Tamrac N-5057

I have a Tamrac N-45 that I've used for about six years. It's a great strap, nice and strong and doesn't slip off the shoulder. I haven't used it lately though as it's always in the way, mainly on verticals.

I'm definitely going to look into that Black Rapid setup though.

I sometimes use a loose hand strap with a messenger style should bag that is very easy to access (cardboard stiffens up and keeps the mouth of the bag open). The camera is either in my hand or in the bag. Need to run or free up a hand.. just drop in the bag and go. The main compartment is empty meant just for the camera... everything else is in the outer pockets.

I too have teh Tamrac N5057... great strap btw... The only thing I DON'T like are the clip connectors. They should have had the male and female buckles alternated so the hanging straps can be connected together when the strap itself is removed.

If you have two cameras, there's a 'CoupleR' you can use to join to r-straps at the back, good for taking weddings, etc -- long events.

AGREED. And you can put a plastic bag in the pouch on the strap in case of rain.

I like the older Nikon straps, gray with the red and yellow stripes. That's what I use on my D700, and I use the current generic nikon strap from my D70 on my F100.

AGREED. And you can put a plastic bag in the pouch on the strap in case of rain.

Another vote for the R-Strap. Just picked one up 3 weeks ago and it's great. I'm not sure I'd classify $60 (USD) as expensive though, considering what's dangling off of it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back