need a lil help

im going to tell you the same thing we tell other people who are asked to do weddings but have never done them before.

DONT.

you might be a great photographer, but this event is a once in a lifetime event and thats why people spend so much time and effort learning how to do portraits and weddings only.let your family members know this before hand to assuage any confusion or dissappointment.

with that being said, your prime lenses are your best friend. anything that is around 135-150mm will be really nice.

sorry to sound so forward, but alot of people ask the same question and we try to give the same uniform answer.

matt

You don't say what camera, but if you are using 35mm film I like a 100mm f/2.8 for fast, versatile, and fairly inexpensive. I do most of the 35mm work at weddings with one of those and a 50mm f/1.4

I typically shoot with the following:
50mm
70-200
20mm
100mm macro
That covers a wide range of shots from close ups of the rings to scene setting shots of the church.

You're welcome to check out my wedding gallery:
www.stalleyphotography.com

If you click on the link "View My Photos" on the left hand side you can see a few completed weddings, Shannon & Paul and Terri & Bill are both recent weddings and show the variety of shots I offer.

If the couple wants formal photos you may want your lighting, depends on where they are to be taken. I've had good results with an off camera TTL flash for church and reception shots.

Have fun and be sure to post the results!

I use a normal lens for much of the work... certainly any full-legnth group photos. For portraits of indviduals and couples, I like to use a "twice normal" lens... so, for 6x7 I use a 180mm. The longer lenses can be used during the ceremony too, allowing you to work without being a distraction. Bring a tripod for these. I bring something slightly wide lens too for close quarters. Basically, I use the longest lens a situation allows.

I avoid bringing the large lights. I look for window-light or an outdoor setting for portaits. But if it looks like rain, or if there's no good outdoor location, I'll pack 'em up.

I've never shot a wedding with 35mm gear, but would consider it if I was working out of town.

Good luck!

It has been years since I shot weddings and frankly, I wasn't very good at it, so I don't know what my opinion will be worth to you.

Please don't take offense at this but, no more qualified to shoot weddings than you seem to be, it seems likely to me that your BIL will be very disappointed in the quality of his wedding pictures. The thing for you to do, IMHO, is to tell him to find someone else. There is no shame in admitting that you aren't qualified to do this job.

probe1957 said:
The thing for you to do, IMHO, is to tell him to find someone else. There is no shame in admitting that you aren't qualified to do this job.

Normally I would agree, but bp22hot has Photographer listed as their occupation (and noted that have their own lighting) and stated they do portraits. Everyone has to start somewhere. My first weddings were done as favors to friends. As long as the couple knows what experience the photographer has and the expectations are clear on both sides it should work out fine. Weddings are complicated and come with a fair amount of stress, but a good checklist, confidence in your photographic skill and equipment will take you a long way.

AlisonPower said:
As long as the couple knows what experience the photographer has and the expectations are clear on both sides it should work out fine. Weddings are complicated and come with a fair amount of stress, but a good checklist, confidence in your photographic skill and equipment will take you a long way.
Sums it up.

-Practice, practice, practice; with/without flash and different lighting conditions. Let your family be the models.
-Carry a lot of film/cf cards.
-At least one back up body.
-Comfortable shoes.
-Aperture 2.8 or wider if the interior is low-lit.
-Spare batteries/battery charger for camera and flash.
-Have someone you trust look after your gear.

Good luck and post your pics when you are done! :thumbup: :)

I'm usually with the others that tell people to turn down friends & family when asked to shoot a wedding without experience. However, if you are a portrait photographer, you should be able to pull it off. Especially if you informed them of your level of experience and what they can expect. I believe the most important shots are the formal/posed shots...so that's basically just taking portraits. These are the shots that I see hung on walls, sent to relatives etc. Do a good job on these...and all should be OK.

Make sure you have backup equipment. I have been asked to shoot weddings before but have said no...not so much because of a lack of experience...but lack of reliable equipment and reliable back up equipment. You have to think of what you would do if a)your camera stopped working b)flash stopped working c)lens d)memory card etc.

a good friendd of mind recently asked me to take his wedding photos and i had to turn him down. I explained that i didnt want to mess them up for him and toldd him to get a professional to do them instead. He suggested that i bring my gear anyway, which suits me fine, i will have the freedom to take the photos i want but without any of the pressure. It will be a good a good learning experience for me.

I think you will be fine, your a portrait photographer and like mentioned in an earlier post, the most important wedding photos are the ones that are in portrait style.

Just have aa little confidence in your ability :D

Be sure to post them when your done!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back