Need a medium telephoto lens ASAP!

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm shooting my sister in laws wedding in about 3 weeks, for free lol. I'm shooting with a 550D and have a xt that I can borrow in case of catastrophe LOL.

This is a new camera for me and I still don't have much glass. I sold all my Minolta / Sony gear just before I purchased my 550.

I was going to rent a medium telephoto. The cost for 3 days is about 70 bucks.

Here's my dilemma, should I rent it or should I buy a lens for about 100 more.

My purchase options are the following:

Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM(EF-S)

Sigma 75-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro(EF)

Tamron 75-300mm f/4-5.6. Macro(EF)
The Tamron has one available for 50 less refurbished.

Is the image stabilization all that important?

What is your advice for me?

Last edited:
Rent a better faster aperture lens than any ones you mentioned. They are ok lenses but all will struggle in lower light which is typical in a wedding scenario. IS won't matter if your @ 5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/10. Peoples movement will still be obvious. If your lens is 2 stops faster say at 2.8 speed 1/40 then IS will counteract a little camera shake.

Rent a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM or 135 f/2L (if you're a prime guy). Don't buy cheap, slow glass on a whim to go shoot a wedding.

The wedding is in 3 weeks and you're just getting to this now?

Unless this is an outdoor wedding, none of those f/4-5.6 lenses will work out. You really do need an f/2.8 or FASTER lens. The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II would be ideal. Rent it.

You'll also need a very good flash -- such as a 580EX II. Having a pair of flashes would be even better.

Good luck! May the light be with you.

The wedding is in 3 weeks and you're just getting to this now?

Unless this is an outdoor wedding, none of those f/4-5.6 lenses will work out. You really do need an f/2.8 or FASTER lens. The 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II would be ideal. Rent it.

You'll also need a very good flash -- such as a 580EX II. Having a pair of flashes would be even better.
The ceremony is outdoors lucky for me. The reception hall is gonna pose challenges with its really high ceilings.
Good luck! May the light be with you.

Thanks schwetty, ill need lots of luck!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back