Need a new toy, but which should I start with??

Chase

I am now benign!
Reaction score
Website
www.thephotoforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys, I need your help deciding which new "toy" I should get first. The list of options is:

• 50mm f1.8 for my D70
  • Photo Backpack with room for D70, a couple of lenses and my Rolleiflex
  • Nice Tripod and Head (currently use a cheap $20 tripod with no features)
  • Light meter (with flash meter) - would go nice with the Rollei and a new set of strobes I purchased

Ok, so there is the list. Which should I buy first and why? Also, what would be your suggestions for items to buy?

I like the Tamrac Expedition 7 backpack, thinking about a Sekonic light meter, probably a Bogen/Manfrotto tripod, and the lens speaks for itself. :)

Suggestions and comments appreciated! :thumbup:

i say get the 50mm f1.8

let you shoot some lower light stuff and maybe the tripod after that so you can look like me :):):) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: i LOVE my 50mm. especially in the desert, it was tack sharp.

md

Looks like someone has some money to spend...must have been a tax return or maybe he spending money from his pretend sale of TPF... ;)

I'll second the 50mm F1.8. I absolutely love mine. With summer coming, the backpack would also be a nice choice. I have been looking around for one...but the good ones sure are expensive.

Talk about four really good choices! That's a real toughy...I guess it should depend on what you most feel like doing :p

Studio work? Tripod or meter (the meter before the tripod).
Travelling? Backpack.
More Nikon rather than Rollei (or, digital vs. film)? The lens.

Sorry I'm not much help picking for you, but I thought I could throw in my two cents like that. Personally, with it getting nice out, forget studio work. I know I'm ready to hit the great outdoors!

It's a toss up between the 50mm and the backpack. I would put the light meter last since you have a camera that can serve as a light meter now for your Rollei. The tripod would be really nice as well though.

So for me:
Lens & backpack (tell Mrs. Chase it's a very good investment and get both ;) )
Tripod
Lightmeter

Another vote for the 50mm. :) I think its a lens that everyone should have.

The L308BII is tempting too! ;)

So basically some of you are trying to rope me into buying two things at once?? Nice...real nice! :lol: Do you really like the idea of my wife hating me?? ;)

Ok, so the 50mm seems like the clear winner so far. Sounds like the backpack is a close second. That is actually sort of what I was thinking with the light meter coming in third (just because I want to experiment more with studio-type work). Tripod would be nice, but the little cheap ones I have do the job pretty well, too.

Thanks for the input! :)

Chase.. I'll vote for backpack :) If you now buy a new lens you won't be able to pack it :)

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say get a nice tripod. If you're taking your gear outdoors it would be ideal to have one of them carbon fiber babies, light and sturdy.

mentos_007 said:
Chase.. I'll vote for backpack :) If you now buy a new lens you won't be able to pack it :)

But the 50mm is so small and light! ;) (I'll probably end up getting both)

Mitica100 said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say get a nice tripod. If you're taking your gear outdoors it would be ideal to have one of them carbon fiber babies, light and sturdy.

You just haaaaaaaad to do that, didn't you? :)

Here I almost have my mind made up....and then...:lol:

Chase said:
You just haaaaaaaad to do that, didn't you? :)

Here I almost have my mind made up....and then...:lol:

Yep!... :lol: I really meant it too. I mean, you probably already have a lens (zoom) which covers the 50mm FL- and I know that adding a prime lens is very important - and you said you have a light weight tripod. I believe that you also have a camera bag of sorts, so I thought that a good tripod might be a first thing to have. Sooooo... there! :lol:

Chase said:
But the 50mm is so small and light! ;) (I'll probably end up getting both)

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

...Buy all four, damnit! Then buy a tent and sleeping bag, and leave your wife for the summer. Hopefully she'll cool down by September :p

sbalsama said:
...Buy all four, damnit! Then buy a tent and sleeping bag, and leave your wife for the summer. Hopefully she'll cool down by September :p

hahah do you belive that? If he buys everything now, he might NOT be able to come back .... never :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back