Need a recommendation

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hiya guys and gals,

Pretty new here (just joined today, though I've been reading a bit before that), and *very* new to photography as a hobby and equipment in general. (currently reading through David' Bushc's "Canon EOS 7D", and Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure", as well as flipping through others as well.

As I was reading through some posts here, I realized that I probably should be using a better computer setup to see the real colors in my photos. So... my question is this: Given that I'm a Mac user, which model of mac (if I really really have to I might justify stepping into the Windows world) should I use for viewing my photos? I'm using a new 13" macbook air at the moment, and normally run without an external monitor, and I'm not trusting this video card for any reasonable bit depth on any monitor.

So, which Apple computer, which monitor, which video card, and do I need extra calibration software?
(I've got the link to the Spyder calibration device already).

Thanks!

Kevin

Hiya guys and gals,

Pretty new here (just joined today, though I've been reading a bit before that), and *very* new to photography as a hobby and equipment in general. (currently reading through David' Bushc's "Canon EOS 7D", and Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure", as well as flipping through others as well.

As I was reading through some posts here, I realized that I probably should be using a better computer setup to see the real colors in my photos. So... my question is this: Given that I'm a Mac user, which model of mac (if I really really have to I might justify stepping into the Windows world) should I use for viewing my photos? I'm using a new 13" macbook air at the moment, and normally run without an external monitor, and I'm not trusting this video card for any reasonable bit depth on any monitor.

So, which Apple computer, which monitor, which video card, and do I need extra calibration software?
(I've got the link to the Spyder calibration device already).

Thanks!

Kevin

macs have some of the best stuff for graphic design and photography... i dont think you really do need anything better... just make sure you have enough memory and i would get photoshop or gimp or lightroom.... but other than that it should be just fine... probably better than my set up...

Hi Kevin,

I use a 15" macbook pro and when I view my photos on separate LCD monitors, I feel like I have good color reproduction. I also have pretty good luck with printing, although I tend to bump up my brightness before I print because the Mac monitors are inherently bright. I calibrated my monitor through the Mac "system preferences" window beforehand... it's a much different color/contrast than was set at the factory, but it seems to lead to reliable color/contrast on better monitors. That's my info, anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So the 13" macbook air will have sufficient color depth for me to use reviewing the photos? Is there a certain external monitor that would be a recommendation, or just use the (1440x900 resolution) display of the air? I'm ok with putting an external monitor on my wish list for future wife approval if it will help much.

Will that Spyder screen calibrator be worth it on this notebook?

Thanks,

Kevin

Oh, and I do have the max 4GB of ram on this machine (too bad the macbook air can't take any more than that!). I have Lightroom 3 installed (but not used it yet). PhotoShop coming soon, because I do enjoy the creative side of photoshop work (though not professional enough with it to really show off anything I do to anyone else!)

Kevin

So the 13" macbook air will have sufficient color depth for me to use reviewing the photos? Is there a certain external monitor that would be a recommendation, or just use the (1440x900 resolution) display of the air? I'm ok with putting an external monitor on my wish list for future wife approval if it will help much.

Thanks,

Kevin

as of right now being new to photography i would wait before getting anything.. you dont need anything other than editing software and and a properly calibrated monitor...

and 4 gigs is enough if you take things one by one and dont have athousan things open at the same time... mine only has like 900 megabytes...

Thanks,

Kevin

as of right now being new to photography i would wait before getting anything.. you dont need anything other than editing software and and a properly calibrated monitor...

cool enough! I love being told not to spend more just yet. :)

The first half of that EOS 7D book is a snoozer isn't it?! I've been fighting my way through it (falling asleep a lot) over the past couple of months. The second half is way better though.

As for the Mac, I use a standard MacBook and only 1gb of RAM and it runs CS5 fine as long as I don't have anything more than like Safari and Mail open. Anything else and it bogs quite a bit but I'd guess you'll be way better off since you have 4x as much RAM as I do.

The screens really need to be calibrated. I couldn't believe the difference I got from my Spyder2 compared to the Apple ghetto-calibrator. It really does make a difference so plan on spending a few bucks and get a used one on eBay or Craigslist. I got mine for $20.

---Chris

The first half of that EOS 7D book is a snoozer isn't it?! I've been fighting my way through it (falling asleep a lot) over the past couple of months. The second half is way better though.

As for the Mac, I use a standard MacBook and only 1gb of RAM and it runs CS5 fine as long as I don't have anything more than like Safari and Mail open. Anything else and it bogs quite a bit but I'd guess you'll be way better off since you have 4x as much RAM as I do.

The screens really need to be calibrated. I couldn't believe the difference I got from my Spyder2 compared to the Apple ghetto-calibrator. It really does make a difference so plan on spending a few bucks and get a used one on eBay or Craigslist. I got mine for $20.

---Chris

Thanks Chris,

I'll go ahead and pick up a Spyder calibrator and see from there where to go next supporting what looks like might be an expensive hobby.

For now it's mostly books, and time spent playing around, reading forums and articles, practicing, and such. :)

Kevin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back