Need a sharp wide angle lens

AaronJAnderson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm getting rid of a D60 body and kit lens. Getting a D90. I have the Nikon 35mm/1.8 and it is so very sharp.... I'm afraid of using the 18-55mm kit lens on my d90 body because I'll take a picture I'll really like, and then say "boy I sure wish it was as sharp as my 35mm lens"

Can I get any reccomendations for a lens that does something around 18mm... zoom is really preferred because I don't want to be changing lenses all day long when I'm traveling..

Here's me traveling up the Montauk Highway @ 18mm.
4216652499_467e6dba26.jpg

I'm afraid of using the 18-55mm kit lens on my d90 body because I'll take a picture I'll really like, and then say "boy I sure wish it was as sharp as my 35mm lens"
Boost in-camera sharpness Or shoot RAW.
If you have extra $ to spend, Nikon 12-24 is a nice lens. I burrowed Tamron 10-24 and Tokina 17-24 few days ago, so far I have mixed feelings for both of them - I don't know what I expected but for now, its a trial period for me.

I'm getting rid of a D60 body and kit lens. Getting a D90. I have the Nikon 35mm/1.8 and it is so very sharp.... I'm afraid of using the 18-55mm kit lens on my d90 body because I'll take a picture I'll really like, and then say "boy I sure wish it was as sharp as my 35mm lens"

Can I get any reccomendations for a lens that does something around 18mm... zoom is really preferred because I don't want to be changing lenses all day long when I'm traveling..
+1 on what IgsEMT said about "Boost in-camera sharpness Or shoot RAW.
If you have extra $ to spend, Nikon 12-24 is a nice lens."

The 12-24 f/4 is a nice lens and I think you'll appreciate images made between 18mm and 12 mm.

I have used the D90/AF-S 18-55 combo many times to make sellable images. Use the lens in it's aperture 'sweet spot' range with adequet shutter speed and it will can make nice sharply focused images.

It's not often a digital image doesn't benefit from sharpening, so no matter what camera/lens combo/image file capture format you use. Plan on doing some image editing to put the finishing touches on your images.

I shoot Canon, so I do not have experience with the Nikon kit lens. However, I have seen good results from the kit lens. It is not the sharpest and fastest lens on the planet, but really not bad especially being a kit lens. In fact, according to photozone, when it stop down to F/5.6, it is pretty good.

The 18-55 has issues in many departments, but sharpness isn't one of them.
Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED DX II - Review / Test Report

Stop down to f/5.6 and the sharpness will be right up there at 18mm. I have used a lot of shoddy lenses but so far I have yet to come across one that gave me a "boy I sure wish it was as sharp as my 35mm lens". Sure if you zoom to 100% it may not look as sharp, but if you look at the picture like any normal person would and you didn't stuff up the shot then sharpness should be no issue on any modern lens.

What is your price range. You can find a lot of lenses but finding one i the range you have to pay is the key factor.

tokina 11-17. i hear its amazing with sharpest second to none. also, nikon has a 10-24 now, and i hear thats very sharp. then all you need is the 70-200 and you got a good range my friend! maybe throw in the 50 1.8 or 1.4 too.

tokina 11-17. i hear its amazing with sharpest second to none.
It is a nice lens. Definitely filled its nitch in the field in quality and price. Gonna have to give it back soon :) :(

Most reactions

Back