What's new

Need Advice on Buying Lens Filters

wayne1523

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 17, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[TABLE="class: tborder, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt2, bgcolor: #EBEBEB"]
Posts: 11


[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #F4F4F4"]Advice on Lens Filters

Hi. I have the following lenses:
Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Nikon 16-85mm
soon will buy the Tokina 11-16mm

I want ND filter and polarizers. Thinking of going with 77mm (since the Tokina is biggest) and then using step up rings for the others. I'm going for cheap but decent performance/quality.

So, if I go for it what's the better choice?

1. Should I get this ND Filter Kit (Dolica 0.3, 0.6, and 0.9)
http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-CF-NDK7...9006785&sr=1-2


AND then this Tiffen Polarizer?

http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-77CP-77...9006717&sr=1-1

OR

2. should I get this Hoya kit which has a UV filter, ND (rather than having 3 of them), and Polarizer.

http://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraFil...-8x-pouch.aspx
--------------

Also, on the side. How would you compare that Tiffen Polarizer to this Nikon one? What's the difference? Is it worth the extra cost?

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Circular...9007623&sr=1-1

Thanks!
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
As I only use Hoya filters I would recommend to buy Hoya combo. Higher price for best performance.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
 
I just put my Tokina in the classifieds in case you're interested.
 
You can't go wrong with B+W.


--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.
 
I don't think there is such a thing as cheap AND decent. There's cheap and unsatisfactory, and there's moderately priced and decent.

You might be able to find a decent filter at a low price if you look around in the used equipment forum. I snagged a 77mm B+W thin CPL for $40 off Craigslist last year.
 
So...the ones that I listed don't really do the job huh? Despite good reviews? I'm not a pro or anything and am really looking for something that just gets the job done optically. So, B+W (etc.) anyway?

And do you guys suspect this to be a seller of fakes?

UV FILTERS - CIRCULAR POLARIZERS - ND FILTERS - Guelph Cameras For Sale - Kijiji Guelph Canada. He emailed me back saying:

"Thanks for responding,

I have Variable ND filters that actully rotate from ND2x to ND16x
They work amazingly. And are more verstaile then standard ND filters.

58mm $ 30
67mm $ 45
77mm $ 50

Circular Polarizers
58mm $25
67mm $30
77mm $35

All new in packages
All made in japan.

Thanks again. "
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom