Need advice on editing

BrentC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In a thread I posted a while ago I posted a crow. It was a pick from underneath so a little underexposed. With the crow being black I am having a hard time editing. I want lighten it more so you can see some detail but trying to keep the blackness of the crow. If that makes any sense. Since I learned more in LR, like masking, I decided to give another try. I am going to post four photos. One is what the raw looks like, my first edit from the other thread and two new edits. I like to know if I'm on the right track or way off. Or maybe the raw doesn't need much editing. And if anything I should adjust. I have more shots of this crow and would like to edit them as well.

Thanks

1. raw image
Crow test raw by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

2. First edit from original post
Crow by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

3. Second edit
Crow test edit 1 by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

4. Third edit
Crow test edit 2 by Brent Cameron, on Flickr

Personally I prefer the raw edit, I've looked at this a couple of times today and I'm always drawn to the first one (RAW). Maybe you just need to do the usually sharpen/noise reduction and maybe brighten the eye a bit and maybe the details around the face where the light has hit it. Either way I like the RAW especially the contrast between the crow and the deep blue sky :)

Edit: Looked at Number 4 and few more time and I think that's a nice improvement on the RAW file. Brought out a few details while keeping the blue and blue contrast.

Yeah, I like the way the raw edit looks as well. You could try pumping the whites up just a little to make it pop a bit more.

Personally I prefer the raw edit, I've looked at this a couple of times today and I'm always drawn to the first one (RAW). Maybe you just need to do the usually sharpen/noise reduction and maybe brighten the eye a bit and maybe the details around the face where the light has hit it. Either way I like the RAW especially the contrast between the crow and the deep blue sky :)

Edit: Looked at Number 4 and few more time and I think that's a nice improvement on the RAW file. Brought out a few details while keeping the blue and blue contrast.

Do you think the sky should just be a touch lighter on #4? I was thinking it may be a little dark on dark and might make the details on the crow stand out a bit more if it was lightened up a bit.

Yeah, I like the way the raw edit looks as well. You could try pumping the whites up just a little to make it pop a bit more.

I did that on #4. As well as lighten the head a bit and sharpen the eyes. I'll try a little more white and see how it looks.

Do you think the sky should just be a touch lighter on #4? I was thinking it may be a little dark on dark and might make the details on the crow stand out a bit more if it was lightened up a bit.

I did that on #4. As well as lighten the head a bit and sharpen the eyes. I'll try a little more white and see how it looks.

Yeah, nothing too drastic though, either replicate the blue from the original or even try going a lighter blue.

Most reactions

Back