Need advice on Glass for first SLR

Anubisyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I have been messing w/ a friends Canon 30D for a while and am gonna by my first SLR. I have decided on the Canon XSI that comes out this month and am pretty stuck on it but other suggestions are welcome. The glass for it i am having an issue w/. I originally was looking at getting the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III but upon reading more and more on it, i keep seeing CHEAP in the build quality and picture quality so have started looking at the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM. When i look at the 4L, i see ppl saying that it is exactly like the IS USM but costs more, and the IS USM ppl say to get the 4L due to the pic quality. I mainly take pictures of nature (birds, deer, trees, what have u), and dogs at field trials and durring deer season. All of these lenses are in my budget range so if there is another i can look at for the same price pls let me know. Thanx for any advice on which glass and any other suggestions. Also looking at a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II for a close lense.

Definetly go with the L glass. It is well worth it.

It really depends on your budget and image quality requirements. You will find plenty of positive reviews for both lenses. The difference is in the quality more than zoom. Having previously owned both models I can tell you the EF 70-200 f/4L far surpasses the 70-300 in IQ. Constant f/4 throughout and very sharp at f/4. The 70-300 on the other hand is soft wide-open but does sharpen up stopped down 1-2 stops. That the difference between L lenses and the rest.
For wildlife, you need the zoom though, so the 70-300 is nice in that respect. But even 300mm is a bit short. I used a EF 300 f/4L IS w/ 1.4x TC for a bit before upgraading to the 400 f/2.8L. The 70-200 can add on a 1.4x teleconverter to make it a 280mm f/5.6. IQ does get a bit soft so you have to stop down to f/7.1 or so. the 70-200 f/2.8 model works flawlessly with the TC, but is twice the price. :mrgreen: Again, its down to IQ and budget.

Thanx, was looking for someone that had both of them ;) think im gonna go w/ the 70-300 for a starter, thnx for the responses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back