Need Advice on Moving to a FF Sensor

Which should I choose for my interests?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

For those who subscribe to DxO...

Be aware that DxO considers their scoring system to be "secret sauce". They absolutely will not disclose what factors go into that score. But what's more, they also don't fully disclose their testing methods (they describe it at a high level, but with enough ambiguity that you don't quite know what exactly they mean by "we test the sensor".)

They do perform some things to images which you'd probably rather wished they would disclose to you before you accept the scores at face value. For example... when they test noise, they don't feel it's fair that small micron sensors tend have more noise than large micron sensors even though the smaller micron size sensor might be providing more resolution... so they resample the images to reduce high res images to the same res as low res cameras before scoring them. Unfortunately it's not possible to resample an image without smoothing out noise... so you're sort of invalidating a test. It's largely accepted that there's a bit of a trade off between resolution and noise, but DxO's testing doesn't accurately reflect that. What's worse... they don't actually DISCLOSE that.

DxO is probably a rough indicator but don't put too much stock in their results.

I pulled the trigger on the 6D kit last night from Amazon. The 24-105 f/4 L "kit" lens is reselling for around $800, so that brings the total cost down to around $1,600. Pretty great deal for a camera that, as you said, is every bit as good as the 5D3 save for the auto-focus. As a landscape photographer first and foremost, a mind-blowing AF is not worth much to me, especially not $1,500.

Also, while I keep seeing people refer to the WiFi and GPS in the 6D as "gimmicks," I think the practical application of these features is a lot greater than people think.
You definitely made the best choice for you, and that's the only thing that matters. Enjoy, and let us know how it goes!

Most reactions

Back