Need advice on new camera choice for a newbie

This seems like too good a deal at $200 less than everyone else at the moment.

Anyone heard of/done business with this place?

Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 55-300mm Dual Lens Wi-Fi Kit - Fumfie.com
That's a new one to me.

This brings up the possibility that the goods may be what is called "gray market", meaning; imported to the U.S. without a U.S. warranty. I would ask more questions if I were you. It's the same stuff, but if you should ever need warranty work done on it, Nikon USA will not touch it. That extra savings (or cost, depending on your point of view) is what pays for the U.S. warranty. I'm not made of money, but to me, having the U.S. warranty is probably worth the additional cost. Ya takes yer chances, and ya makes yer throw.

Yeah, nevermind. I just googled Fumfie and it appears to be somewhat fraudulent. So I won't be ordering from them. I'll just play it safe and buy from Nikon or BestBuy.

Thank you all for your replies - this is a wealth of good information to help with my decision. I'm open to refurbished. Unfortunately it looks like no one has any in stock right now.

Did you check the Nikon website directly? I saw a post on another forum that they are having 10% off all refurbished items through 2/15 - ooh that's today!

Yeah but they don't have what I'm looking for. 10% off is a good deal though.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For around $1500 you can buy a VERY good used Canon 1DmkIV. You will be hard pressed to ever get a better camera in your hands for under $5K I know Adorama has/had a couple recently, and maybe B-H. Both give a warranty and easy returns. they are a 1.3 crop factor giving you the best of both worlds almost. I know a couple of long time famous wildlife photographers still use them regularly.

Yeah but they don't have what I'm looking for. 10% off is a good deal though.

I bought a used canon 5DMK II with 5000 actuations gripped for under 1K
Then find a lens that fits your style of photography..

That is my advise for you, don't mess around with a cropped body.
Buy the full frame body and if photography isnot your thing then you can always resale the used gear close to what you paid for it.
And if you like photography you wont be wasting your money on cropped bodies and the lenses for cropped bodies

If you're interested in the Nikon D7100, compare it with the Canon 7D. That's about as comparable as I think there really is.

Most reactions

Back