Need advice on Sony E-mount lenses

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Folks,

I have a passion for photography and intend to pursue it a bit more, hence want to upgrade from my oh-so-old SONY A35 DSLR.

I want to go for the SONY A7RIII.... (given that the A7RIV is so damn expensive)

What I need some advice for are the lenses....

These are the lenses I have shortlisted, based on some Youtube reviews/suggestions...

1) Sony 16-35mm f/4 - SEL1635Z
2) Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM - SEL24F14GM
3) Sony 55mm f/1.8 - SEL55F18Z
4) Sony 85mm f/1.8 - SEL85F18
5) Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8
6) Sony 70-200mm f/4 - SEL70200G

I would want to start off with 2 lenses And maybe add another one after a year or so IF REQUIRED.

What do I like shooting, or shoot ?
- Human portrait, landscape, candid scenes at family gatherings and parties, some low-light candid moments at family gatherings and functions, weddings, birthday parties, children's school sporting events, office sporting events, amusement parks, beach/water... and more

Any suggestions for which 2 lenses I should start with ?

Thanks,
Bodhi

I would buy the 16 to 35 and the 70 to 200 mm. That would give you a very solid foundation, useful for a wide variety of subject matter. As needed you could fill in any gaps that you find after a year of use.

if you want to you could buy the Tamron 17 to 28 millimeter F/2.8 instead of the 16 to 35, but I think that the Sony might be a slightly better lens as far as resale value goes, and I suspect it is smaller and a bit lighter

I would think the 70-200 is the only one suitable for the sporting shots, none of the others are anything like long enough IMO.
Like Derrel I would also go with the 16-35 as the most flexible of the remainder, the option to go with awider aperture might be nice for the low light scenes, but the A7iii handles high ISO well enough that it's not essential.

It does leave a fair gap in the middle, at just the sort of focal length you'd want for small groups, but the later addition of the 55/1.8 would be right in the middle of the gap & might do the job if you find it needs filling.

I only use adapted lenses on my A7ii, this might prove a solution for you if you need to fill the gap before you can afford another native lens.

Hmm, have you considered the Sony 24-70mm f/2.8G ... it would pair well with the 70-200mm f2.8G

I would think the 70-200 is the only one suitable for the sporting shots, none of the others are anything like long enough IMO.
Like Derrel I would also go with the 16-35 as the most flexible of the remainder, the option to go with awider aperture might be nice for the low light scenes, but the A7iii handles high ISO well enough that it's not essential.

It does leave a fair gap in the middle, at just the sort of focal length you'd want for small groups, but the later addition of the 55/1.8 would be right in the middle of the gap & might do the job if you find it needs filling.

I only use adapted lenses on my A7ii, this might prove a solution for you if you need to fill the gap before you can afford another native lens.

Thank you for the detailed suggestion !

I would buy the 16 to 35 and the 70 to 200 mm. That would give you a very solid foundation, useful for a wide variety of subject matter. As needed you could fill in any gaps that you find after a year of use.

if you want to you could buy the Tamron 17 to 28 millimeter F/2.8 instead of the 16 to 35, but I think that the Sony might be a slightly better lens as far as resale value goes, and I suspect it is smaller and a bit lighter

Thanks !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back