Need advice on this macro "adapter"

BlackPoet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Came across this "macro adapter" type lens. What you guys think? Should I spend $10 elsewhere? I don't want to go extension tubes because I have the G class 50 and I would like to maintain control of the aperture through the camera - without spending $150+ on tubes.

Just emailed this guy, you screw the lens onto the front of your lens - kinda like the older screw on lenses..
Video Ultra Wide Macro Lens 0.6X

.......so?

I bought some close up lenses, if that's what you're referring to. they're "OK"

Will this lens "generously" compromise the quality of photos my 50mm 1.8 could put out? I just read elsewhere that the quality of glass used in these lenses might be good for video but not so great with still shots.

It compromises mine. You know how when you aren't prescribed bifocals and and put them on anyway? That's what it basically does to my lens, although, it does have a VERY small window of focus that it can pull of a decent shot. It's nothing like using a true macro.

I would NOT buy that device, which is designed for video camera use. But you COULD buy an affordable 52mm diameter close-up filter, also called a + diopter filter, or a + diopter filter set, typically a 3-piece set with a +1, +2, +3 strength,something like that. For a bit more money, look at the Raynox brand's "close-up lenses", which are even better quality, two-element devices.

I am definitely intrigued by Raynox's macro adapters. Thanks for the info Derrel. Do you have experience with them at all? I was just wondering if these adapters enable me to get closer to things like bugs and such while still being able to focus, given that my lenses can only focus from so close to the given subject. You can probably tell by my questions I'm a complete noob to photography, but instead of investing in a $500+ macro lens off the bat I want to give it a go to see if it definitely is something I'm interested in. So far, by looking at TPF members' macro shots, I'm definitely willing to explore it.

Generally with macro photography you'll be physically moving back and forward to focus the lens anyway mate, focus rings with extension tubes and diopters become pretty much useless. But that's not too big of a deal. Apeture control is handy to have, but it is possible to work round that with most lenses and shoot at a constant apeture

The way macro extension tubes and diopters work is to shorten your minimal focal distance, so yes you'll be able to get closer.

From the title it's a wide angle adapter, which can be partially dismantled the half nearer the camera being a macro diopter.

It claims to fit a 52mm thread so it's not one of the smaller video only versions which are typivcally 37mm.

If you want to play with moderate quality wide shots then it's probably worth getting and will give you a cheap diopter thrown in.
It will convert your 50mm to a 30mm lens, but mounted on too wide a lens can cause severe vignetting as the image shows the inside of the adapter
I've got several similar adapters, the image quality is reasonable, but about half can't match the width of my kit lens due to this vignetting.

If your only after the macro side then your money could be better spent elsewhere:
a reversing ring ~$5
a coupling ring ~$5 (to reverse another lens as a diopter)
or towards a achromatic diopter.

I would NOT buy that device, which is designed for video camera use.
For a bit more money, look at the Raynox brand's "close-up lenses", which are even better quality, two-element devices.

Raynox are made for video cameras ;)

This unit looks like one of those all in one wide and macro adaptors; they tend to be at the cheaper end of the market and tend to be lower quality; some are medium to higher quality but it depends who made it. I've no idea about this unit. Raynox are a solid brand, making multi element attachments of various strengths and are well worth getting.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That lens may say macro but it will not make things magnified. It is for wide angle.
You don't have to spend $150.00 on tubes.

Nikon D3100 extension tubes | eBay

Oh I knew I didn't have to spend that much on tubes. That's why I was saying I wanted to maintain control over my aperture settings on my 50mm lens, which I have to do through the camera controls. Those cheaper tubes don't have the electronic pins for the camera and lens to communicate, thus, forcing you to shoot wide open whatever lens you may have. The more expensive tubes actually have the pins.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That lens may say macro but it will not make things magnified. It is for wide angle.
You don't have to spend $150.00 on tubes.

Nikon D3100 extension tubes | eBay

Oh I knew I didn't have to spend that much on tubes. That's why I was saying I wanted to maintain control over my aperture settings on my 50mm lens, which I have to do through the camera controls. Those cheaper tubes don't have the electronic pins for the camera and lens to communicate, thus, forcing you to shoot wide open whatever lens you may have. The more expensive tubes actually have the pins.
You can get tubes for almost a third of the price of $150.00 with electrical contacts that allow you to set your aperture at the link i gave you...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back