Need advice, the old Canon 5D or the new Canon 7D ?

viulian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to the community!

I am a torn apart by this decision, what to get, full frame or crop factor ?
I will start with a bit longer introduction just to try and 'frame' the context :)

I'm not a photographer (meaning that my income is not photography).
I mainly shoot during small weekend trips or holidays - and I do it for the memories. That pretty much includes everything - from portraits of girlfriend, landscapes, insects on flowers, buildings, sunsets, zoo etc.

From time to time I find myself in situations where I feel inspired and I try to capture that moment. Few samples are here - nothing spectacular - but I liked them and they ended up as I wanted them to appear.

I learned photography (exposure + shutter speed) with many films on a russian Smena 8 camera. Time passed, and I upgraded to a Canon S50 and then 4 more years passed and switched to a Canon SX20 IS super zoom - which made me realize that the autofocus on S50 was much better than the SX20 IS. Nearly 50% of the photos made with the SX20 are slightly out of focus or just not sharp enough - even if the camera says that focus is locked. S50 seemed to struggle a bit to get the focus (in more difficult conditions), but when it said it had it it was there, sharp. Sx20 IS says focus is there, but ...

My budget is up to 1800 euros to switch gear.

Due to the focusing issues that I have with Sx20 and not sharp images I like to have a camera that does very good in all combinations of light.

Pros for full frame:
a) lowest possible noise
b) lenses I buy I will have them later when I'll switch to a better full frame body.

Why I would like 1.6 factor:
a) not as heavy
b) seemed to be produced in faster iterations - so more models to choose from in the future.
c) 7D has lens micro adjustments (also 5DMk2 but is too expensive).

So I either have to buy the old 5D (found it with EF 28-105 wout/ IS) at 1200 euros - but all lens I will buy I will keep when a better model comes around + have the low noise goodies and wide landscape.
Or I get the 7D and then I will remain in the 1.6x world, wondering if FF produces even better IQ.

About 7D I find a lot of info online, reviews, but not about the initial 5D.

Just a note but the 7D also takes EF lenses; so you can certainly keep all your 7D lenses for a fullframe camera if you move up from there at a later date. About the only exceptions will be an ultra wide angle lens on the 7D (most of these don't fit fullframe) and if you get any of the crop sensor specific wider angle zoom lenses (eg the 18-85mm type affairs). Angle of view on the existing lenses will of course change between the 7D and any possible future fullframe camera body.

Old 5D. Full-frame. Ample used lenses will fit it. A 24-70 or 28-70 is actually a wide-angle to short tele on the FF 5D. ALSO, and this is BIG: the small,light, low-cost Canon primes 28,35,50,85 are ALL a wonderful set of prime lenses, each of which will allow you to have an affordable, and yet excellent performing lens without "stressing" lens performance. For example, the 28-105...that is actually a wide-angle to short/medium tele-zoom on the 5D, useful for some indoor work...on the 7D, that same lens is an almost useless lens indoors...it's no longer got a wide angle of view...same with the 17-40L...on FF, that is a very wide, wide-angle lens...on APS-C (ie 7D format), not so much...

What is the weight difference between the 5D and the 7D? In grams? I honestly do not know.

What I DO know from owning the 5D is how fantastic its large-sized pixels perform...it's a superb compromise between MP count, and pixel size...Nikon has done two pro-level bodies using a similarly-capable 12.2 MP-class, FX sensor...the 7D's picture quality honestly, does NOT impress me...I've looked at over a thousand 7D images...the sensor in that camera is simply not "impressive"--it loses color saturation and richness very rapidly, and the images need a lot of noise reduction.Here is the way I characterize the two cameras: the 7D is a great camera, with only an average-performing sensor in it. The original 5D is a merely average camera body, with a great-performing sensor in it.

If my budget was 1800 altogether, i would spend probably half or less on the body, and the rest on nice glass. As mentioned, EF lenses work on all Canon dSLR's, so no matter what body you get, or sell, or upgrade, you can always keep your lenses. You mentioned sharpness being a primary concern... that's mostly the glass. I was in a similar situation when I put my kit together, with a slightly higher budget actually, and opted for the 60d with a wider selection of lenses. Bodies improve every year, and advanced technology gets cheaper and cheaper, so I figured I can always upgrade that once I'm happy with everything else. Nice lenses hold their value, and are rarely outperformed because another lens is "newer".

P.S. I like your photostream

Thank you all for your answers!

I think I will go with the old 5D and will ask the guy (at the used camera shop) to switch the lens to an IS one.
I will get a macro and a wide soon after.

Most reactions

Back