CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I'm going to the Grand Canyon next week for a few days. I currently only have the Canon LP-E5 battery that came with my Rebel XS.

I was looking at this page on amazon...

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lp-e5&x=0&y=0

And noticed that the Canon batteries are much more pricey than the off-brands. What would you do?

There is no reason to buy a Canon brand name battery........... many others have a higher Ma hour rating and are arguably better..

Personally, I would pick up the Canon one. I know with lenses, you can usually tell the difference in quality (depends though), so I think it might be the same with the battery.

Also, then you won't need to worry about it crapping out on you when you're on your vacation, then not being able to shoot some things. You would be kicking yourself over the 25 dollars if that happened.

Unfortunately, I have never tried a 3rd party battery, but like I said, I would just stick with Canon.

But also, there is the option where even in Battery X doesn't last as long as the Canon one, you can pick up 2 or 3 for the same price, so it would probably be even better that way.

I bought an off brand spare battery (I don't even know what brand it is) for my XTi, and it works as well, if not better than the one my camera came with. There's no reason to pay the "brand name" tax when it comes to batteries.

I agree with the non-oem battery. If you get that from a place with good reputation, it should be fine. If the site has user reviews on the battery, it is even better. For example, if the battery has few hundreds reviews and most of them are positive, I feel more comfortable buying that battery.

I bought my 1st DSLR after market battery from overstock.com.

when i got my battery grip, i got a Lenmar battery. Its worked flawlessly so far. Don't see any reason to pay the brand name tax either.

Most reactions

Back