Need critique

ceemac

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Making a foray into people photography. This is SOOC with cropping and slight exposure increase. Honesty is appreciated
Canon 6D, f4 , 1/125 , 105mm , ISO200

Bruce (683x1024) (2) - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like your focus landed on the eye furthest from the camera, causing any of his face thats closer to the camera than that eye to be thrown out of focus. This can be remedied with a more narrow f/stop setting, such as f/8, as opposed to a wider setting like f/2.8 or f/4. Some sharpening in post production can help bring some focus back to those areas (this can be done in ACR, Photoshop, and Lightroom), but the best option is to work to avoid the problem altogether in the future so you don't have to fix it in post.

The crop seems a bit awkward as well; I think theres too much empty space above his head and on the left side of the frame. Do you have the original crop?

Otherwise, lighting, white balance and exposure all look good.

Thanks, Dan. I wanted the bacground out of focus, but maybe there's a better way of handling that. The crop was difficult, but here's the original.

Bruce (2) (683x1024).jpg

Just out of curiosity what focus method/setting did you use, that might be the source of your missed focus.

As far as cropping goes, I would do something like this. I honestly think it would be a much better shot if there was eye contact though.
screen_shot_2018_07_24_at_1_26_04_pm_by_danostergren-dci60pe.png

Just out of curiosity what focus method/setting did you use, that might be the source of your missed focus.

Last time I used the camera, I was photographing things that were likely to move so I had the camera in AI servo.

I am no expert but this image looks fine to me.....

Most reactions

Back