Need help deciding on a Nikon!!!!

tatumheiser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey everyone! I feel like i have been searching and searching for decades trying to decide which camera/lens would be best. I decided to join a forum site to get real input:) anyway, im no pro by any means and have only used a nikon d3000 although, i do know a decent amount about digital slr's. im currently expecting a baby & will mainly be photographing her. i am hoping to set up a small home studio and do her portraits and such myself.. but i also would like to be able to take action shots of her as she gets older! my budget for camera body &&&&& at least one decent all around lens would be around $1500. I know this isnt much, but im not doing photography for money so i dont need the BESTTTT of the best. i do want something decent that will last me a while thought. please help! THANKS! :)

Nikon D90 with kit lens and an SB600. Get a few books, and save the rest of your money for when you start running into some limitations and know a bit more about where you want to see better results.

Just my .02

Kerbouchard gave a good answer. I used to own a Nikon D90 with 18-105 and SB-900 and very happy with the result I got. Make sure to spend some times on your flash because firing it straight to the subject won't always give you the best result - at least bouncing it off something will dramatically increase the dimension of the picture.

Next to the D90, look for a good lense. Within your budget. The 18-105 is ok, but there are more lenses. There a lots of places where you van read what lense you could buy for your money. When shooting indoors, you don't need a great tele or tele zoom lense. The D90 (but the D7000 too) has a commander mode for the flash, so you could do amazing flash things with it, with just one extra Nikon flash like the SB900 or SB800.

I'm in the exact same boat! I'm going with the nikon D7000 and I can't decide between the nikon 16-85, nikon 18-105, sigma 17-70or sigma 17-50. As far as flash no clue! Good luck to you and congrats on the new baby!!!!

All good suggestions. My suggestion would be also for the D90, but for better results and better quality, go for a D300 and the SB-700 flash. I don't know why people forget about this flash. It's idiot proof! As for the lens.......18-105 is a great lens to start out with. Very versatile.

thanks for all the input! :) iv been researching the d5100 and d7000.. would the d90 really be the better option?
the only thing keeping me from the d5100 is the autofocus concern with different lenses and stuff.. also, i want a camera that i can do portraits and have LARGE prints made... any info on this?

thanks! :)

thanks for all the input! :) iv been researching the d5100 and d7000.. would the d90 really be the better option?
the only thing keeping me from the d5100 is the autofocus concern with different lenses and stuff.. also, i want a camera that i can do portraits and have LARGE prints made... any info on this?

thanks! :)

Yes, I personally believe that the D90 would be the better option in your case. Even if you could find a gently used one.

I have a D90 along with some good lenses. The D90 is a terrific camera and for your purposes it will serve you well and for many years to come. It's affordable, fairly lightweight and easy to use. I also have the SB-700 and LOVE it. Can't go wrong with it.

D90 18-105mm lens can't go wrong bought mine for just under £700 so that would be $1100, you could pick one up cheaper second hand. i was stuck in the same decision but at the last minute i went for the D90, turned out a good choice. it's a solid model and the lens is great quality with vibration reduction! go for it.

Somehow everybody is asking the same question. I have a d5000 and wanted to 'upgrade'. Main reasons are the low resolution of the LCD screen and the lack of AF motor in the body.

I was looking at the d90 but it is almost similar to the d5000 other than the LCD screen. I than look at the d300. For a pre-owned, it is about the same as a d90.

Technically, I think they are all almost about the same. The d300 stands out due to the ease in changing the various setting. I have been using it for 2 months. Somehow, the photo quality is much better than those taken by my previous d5000 with the same lens.

According to my friends, they think it is because I have improved in my skill. I cannot confirm that but there are differences

I went from a D5000 to a D7000 and you'll thank yourself for the D7000 for more reasons than practical for me to type.

I went D7000 over d90 because of performance between the two.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back