NEED HELP !!!! ( dust in a lens )

toofat2farm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi long time reader first time poster ...... i just recently got into photography mostly wildlife,

My question is is it possible to clean the inside of a lens ?? I got an opportunity to purchase a 150 to 600mm for pretty good price what the wether some dust on the inside of the lens I know a lot of people say it doesn't affect it but it will absolutely drive me insane also if it is possible is it expensive to have a lens cleaned?

If it's just a speck or two, don't worry about it. If it will really bother you, buy one without any visible dust....... then don't obsess about dust you can't see.

for pretty good price
Did you know it had visible dust before you bought it? Was the dust a factor in establishing a "pretty good price"? Have you made some pictures with this lens to evaluate how the dust affects the photographs? Can you post an image here to show the quality of the photos?

All non pro zoom lenses will get dust in them don't worry about it because if you have it cleaned it will come back

All non pro zoom lenses will get dust in them don't worry about it because if you have it cleaned it will come back

Since when did 'pro' zooms become immune?

ALL lenses will get dust in them. They're not hermetically sealed at the factory. In order to zoom or even focus, the elements must move. That movement will require air to move as well, and some of that air will be sucked into the lens.

Unless you always shoot in a clean room, the only way you're not going to get dust in a lens is to seal it up and never use it.

Absolutely.
Even brand new lenses (pro grade lenses too) have some dust in them.

The repair shop will be glad to clean the lens for you (ChaChing!) every time you decide you can't stand the dust in your lens any more.
Zoom lens usually cost more to be cleaned than prime lenses.
Just be prepared in advance - when you get the lens back it will still have some dust in it that got in while they reassembled the lens.

Try to overcome your OCD on this particular issue because internal dust is always going to reappear, and it has about as much effect on performance as the dead flies and gnats do on the front bumper of a car that has been driven during the summer months...as in NO effect whatsoever. Search "Ken ROCKWELL flashlight test"

Here’s an interesting article from LensRentals.com:

LensRentals.com - I Don't Know Why It Swallowed a Fly - Weather Sealed Lens With a Fly Inside

The point I want to get across is in the last paragraph: “The takeaway message, though, is in the picture you can't see here. We took dozens of images with the lens before taking the fly out. We shot stopped down, we shot at all parts of the zoom range. We focused close, we focused far. And in no image could we find the slightest hint that there was a fly in the lens. And you guys worry about a dust particle or two!”

FYI: The Lens Across America Round 4 lens had some sort of bug in it as well.

That link was a great

Because of the amount of disassemble involved, the lens had to be re-centered and optically adjusted. Total repair time to get the fly out was just over 4 hours.
Four hours - and the lens was not completely cleaned.

Because of the amount of disassemble involved, the lens had to be re-centered and optically adjusted. Total repair time to get the fly out was just over 4 hours.
Four hours - and the lens was not completely cleaned.

I'd venture to say that LensRental is a lens rental company, not a lens repair facility.

I've even heard some "pro" zoom lens get some dust
A tragedy for sure but manageable

Most reactions

New Topics

Back