What's new

Need help figuring out what kind of lens to buy for a wedding shoot / Nikon D90

christa

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 15, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
LA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys. Sorry but I'm not a "gearhead" at all, and I really need some help! I will be shooting a wedding in a couple weeks and need to buy some equipment for it. First off, I need a good lens for shots of the ceremony and also portrait type shots. I have a Nikon D90. I'm looking to spend under $500 if possible.
I also need to buy a speedlight. Any recommendations?? Would really appreciate any help, thanks!
 
BTW, I currently own a AF-S Nikkor 18-105 mm lens...
 
I assume you are doing this for free as a friend.
Buy a 50 1.8 - sharp, useful forever and not expensive.

practice with your flash before the event.
 
Many pro wedding shooters use a 2 lens set up; like a $1600 (new) AF-S 24-70 mm f/2.8 and a $2400 (new) AF-S 70-200 mm f/2.8. Both cost big bucks.

Since your D90 has a focus motor, you can use the much less expensive Nikon AF 24-85 mm f/2.8-4D. The 24-85 lens also has a 1:2 macro feature from 35 mm to 85 mm that you could use to do wedding ring close-ups. The focal range is good for both B&G portraits, from 50 mm to 85 mm, and group shots from 24 mm to 50 mm, like formals.


I have a very nice used one for sale, for less than $500, here at TPF: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/243848-fs-nikon-af-24-85-mm-f-2-8-4d-if-w-1-2-macro.html
 
The 50mm f1.8 also does shallow DoF pretty well and will be useful in a number of ways.

You might want to look into one of these Nissin Di866 Digital Flash For Nikon D-SLRs, & ND866N B&H

If you're going to use the 18-105mm you're going to need plenty of light. Also, Capture NX2 has a nice function to help with the lens distortion along with having the best RAW processing for Nikon. Give it a look or try the trial version.
 
A lot of inexperienced shooters get themselves into focus trouble trying to use a 50 mm f/1.8 wide open, because the DOF is so shallow.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom