Need help! Is this camera right for me?

slickhare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok i'm having a problem. currently i'm using a Pentax ME Super. i'm a beginner and this is a film camera. my dad is opposed to me possibly wasting film at first due to my inexperience. The ME super's auto setting allows me to adjust the focus, and in the viewfinder as i change the aperture, it will change the shutter speed and tell me when it's all ready. however he doesn't think this is enough.

so he wanted me to use his digital camera which isn't an slr but can go manual, however with a lot less ease than an slr. so i considered getting a digi -slr to meet him in the middle...but they're too expensive.

so i thought about a Canon EOS Rebel K2 since its auto features are a bit better than the ME Super. is this camera right for a beginner who shouldn't waste film? or is there another alternative someone could suggest?

I don't see why you shouldn't use it. You sound like you know how to expose shots properly with the aperture variance mode (not actually auto) so I don't see why not. You'll learn alot more doing this then shifting to full manual than with a P&S I think.

You could get the Canon but the camera you have is probably very good it's Pentax and they make good cameras. Try to use this and then ween yourself from this onto full manual witth the camera. It's how i learnt about exposure and it's a fine way to learn. If you use auto at first you'll jsut take longer to learn.

Get a book on basic photography and take notes on the settings used for the pictures you take. You can evaluate yourself after the film is developed and see your results based on your noted settings. Take things step by step using the aperture in different scenarios then evaluate, the shutter and so on. If you show your father you have a game plan for learning photography he may not think it will be a waste.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back