Need help picking D90 or T2i Please read before assume.

WowIshDanny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been going about this for 2 months now and I need a real answer. I am stuck between pickign a canon T2i or a nikon D90.
I am minoring in photography when I get to college and would like to know which camera will be more efficient in the long run. I am looking into doing Scenery/nightlife photography and also a little sports. Please help.

for nightlife, i would get the one with better iso performance.
for sport, i would get the one with the better focus system.

On that basis you get the D90.

The D90 spanks the T2i on color depth, dynamic range, low-light ISO, fps rate, metering system, and focusing system.

Compare cameras

Nikon's metering and AF systems are color-aware.

Canon's are not, with the 2 very recent exceptions of the 7D and the 1Ds MKIV.

On that basis you get the D90.

The D90 spanks the T2i on color depth, dynamic range, low-light ISO, fps rate, metering system, and focusing system.

Compare cameras

Nikon's metering and AF systems are color-aware.

Canon's are not, with the 2 very recent exceptions of the 7D and the 1Ds MKIV.

Just to clarify, as written on DXO Mark's own site:

1. DxOMark Sensor measures only the RAW image quality of a digital camera; therefore, DxOMark Sensor is NOT an evaluation of overall camera image quality or performance.
  2. DxOMark Sensor is a logarithmic scale in which a 5-point increase corresponds to a sensitivity gain of 1/3 of a stop.
So the differences are actually bearly noticeable to the naked eye, and virtually non-existant in prints. It doesn't take into account in-camera processing vs post processing either. And "spanks" is quite a generous term considering number 2 above.

That being said, the D90 is in a class above T2i and still the better camera IMO, but because of physical features on the camera and not the arbetrary DxO score. The D90 compares closer to the 50D, or more accurately, fits in a segment between the T2i and the 50D.

The real question is do you want to buy into the Canon brand or the Nikon brand, because once invested in a brand, it's very expensive to switch over. Go play with both in a store to see which kind of menu and button layouts you like better, which feels better, etc. Both cameras will produce great pictures.

Also, there's no 1Ds mkIV out yet. ;)

Here is a side-by-side comparison of the Canon T2i and the Nikon D90.

Canon Rebel T2i / EOS 550D Compared to the Nikon D90 Side by Side

Both cameras cost about the same, and are the top consumer-level models from their respective companies. Visit the Canon USA and Nikon USA web sites, and you can see that these are listed as the fourth models up from the entry-level...meaning they are identically-slotted offerings....the D90 is Nikon's best "consumer d-slr" and the T2i is Canon's best "consumer d-slr". The fact that you, a prospective purchaser are comparing and considering the two cameras, and the fact that they cost within $50 of one another, and the fact that a well-known web site is comparing the two models in a side-by-side is a good indication that these two models are competing camera offerings in today's market. Both shoot video.

I say buy both, you can't go wrong.

Some things that should not be discounted or taken lightly are ergonomics (how the camera feels in your hands) and also the firmware and menu-navigation. If you don't like holding or are unable to navigate through settings on your camera, you won't like it. This goes back to someone saying earlier that it's helpful to go try and play with both models in a store.

That said, my vote goes D90.

Just to clarify, as written on DXO Mark's own site:

1. DxOMark Sensor measures only the RAW image quality of a digital camera; therefore, DxOMark Sensor is NOT an evaluation of overall camera image quality or performance.
  2. DxOMark Sensor is a logarithmic scale in which a 5-point increase corresponds to a sensitivity gain of 1/3 of a stop.
So the differences are actually bearly noticeable to the naked eye, and virtually non-existant in prints. It doesn't take into account in-camera processing vs post processing either. And "spanks" is quite a generous term considering number 2 above.
Are you suggesting they should measure something else? The point isn't to measure processed JPG's or something. The RAW data is the only way to remain objective and compare pure, level playing field data, which is the point of DxOMark. A good amount of "image quality" does, in fact, come from the post-processing anyways. Whether or not something is visible to the naked eye, or in print, is a moot point in terms of this type of comparison.

It's a lot like benchmarking CPUs or video cards for computers. It might not be real-world conditions, etc, but it's a great way to measure the pure data and use for comparison; especially between two manufacturers that usually don't use the same metrics or will skew data to their advantage.

Last edited:
Just go ahead and get the D90! You will be very happy with it.

I know I AM!

When do you start taking the classes in college? I ask this because you may have some time (a semester) before you need to buy. If you do decide on Nikon, the D90 has been out since 2008 and Nikon has given the D5000 a lot of the D90's features. It wouldn't surprise me if the D90 gets replaced or updated in the near future and that gives 2 possibilities - possibly a cheaper D90 or possibly a better camera from Nikon.

When do you start taking the classes in college? I ask this because you may have some time (a semester) before you need to buy. If you do decide on Nikon, the D90 has been out since 2008 and Nikon has given the D5000 a lot of the D90's features. It wouldn't surprise me if the D90 gets replaced or updated in the near future and that gives 2 possibilities - possibly a cheaper D90 or possibly a better camera from Nikon.

Don't think that Nikon would do anything to their big seller (d90) at this time. About the only thing I could see them doing is lower price concept, but that is where the d5000 came from. But, then I do not work for Nikon, so who knows what they will do.

1) put them in your hands, try taking a few pictures, see how they feel; this is a major reason to buy one over the other

2) Someone commented you are buying a name by which they mean a product line. That said, there is more available at lower price for the canon over the nikon. This is called "market" - they are not exactly in the same market (nikon sells more on name where Canon sells more on system - for example you can buy a $120,000 12,000mm lens from canon, not from Nikon; you can buy microscope dapters from Canon that Nikon doe not have, etc.

Each has a market it is selling to

Frankly there isn't a dime's worth of difference in the quality of either, it is mainly the market / system within each lives, the upgradability

Years ago when PC's justr started I ran a computer store and I put out this flyer on how to buy a PFC (which works here)
a) go to 5 stores and ask "what do cameras do" (as in macro, long distance telephoto, etc.)
b) go back to those 5 stores and say "this is what I want to do; what does this best - this is where you actually compare the products. You may even look at Sony A850 / 900 for less expensive Full Frame (like canon 5D, Nikon D3) - Minolta lenses)
c) go back a third time and ask for price / services of that store - a store may have free tutorials, classes that a big box like Best Buy does not

At that point you are ready to make an educated buy; skipping any steps will make you a p[oor shopper - pay more than you need to (e. g. BH Photo - which has lousy prices for the product / service)

So rather than buy a name, buy a need fulfillment - what do you intend to do with this camera?

Back in the 70's Nikon put out the FE (aperture priority) and the FM (manual), they are great cameras and were great sellers. They have a shutter speed of 1/1000 and had a bunch of options that could be fitted onto them. Then Nikon put out the FE2 and the FM2 because they were able to get shutter speeds to 1/2000.

I agree that they probably wouldn't get rid of the D90 if it is their biggest seller but probably put a suffix on it to keep the branding alive.

Are you suggesting they should measure something else? The point isn't to measure processed JPG's or something. The RAW data is the only way to remain objective and compare pure, level playing field data, which is the point of DxOMark. A good amount of "image quality" does, in fact, come from the post-processing anyways. Whether or not something is visible to the naked eye, or in print, is a moot point in terms of this type of comparison.

It's a lot like benchmarking CPUs or video cards for computers. It might not be real-world conditions, etc, but it's a great way to measure the pure data and use for comparison; especially between two manufacturers that usually don't use the same metrics or will skew data to their advantage.
I guess what I'm saying is if you want to have an e-peen waiving contest with irrelevant numbers, by all means. DxO Mark numbers have value somewhat, as long as they're understood. But it even says on its own site that it takes 5 full points to get a 1/3 stop difference and most cameras in comparisson are around 1 point difference; if even that. I just don't see any real world value to these numbers.

pick up a USED D90 in good shape and invest in some glass.

its the better choice

Most reactions

Back