What's new

Need help pictures are boring

photogod88

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
50
Reaction score
3
I'm at a point were growth has stopped could this be cause of the lack of available equipment I see images that just move me and I absolutely adore they inspire me however I can help but feel that my images are primitive and basic needing either a refresher course in basics or a professional seminar in work flow
 

Attachments

  • $image-1066898899.webp
    $image-1066898899.webp
    70.5 KB · Views: 157
  • $image-1943081726.webp
    $image-1943081726.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 159
  • $image-2025745131.webp
    $image-2025745131.webp
    51 KB · Views: 148
  • $image-3794039893.webp
    $image-3794039893.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 141
  • $image-2942629890.webp
    $image-2942629890.webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 163
It's not the gear, it's you.
 
The number one thing you can do is study the rules of good composition. They are boring because they're all dead center. The gas pump is the best of the lot for comp. Here's my pet link for the basics of good exposure: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.
 
Besides the composition with the rule of thirds cause I use a 17 to 40 canon f4 on my 5 d mark two but my 70-200mm isn't a 2.8 I'm talking about exposure color and other aspects really.
 
MLeeK said:
The number one thing you can do is study the rules of good composition. They are boring because they're all dead center. The gas pump is the best of the lot for comp. Here's my pet link for the basics of good exposure: Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition.

See what I mean as far a color
 

Attachments

  • $image-3018026951.webp
    $image-3018026951.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 169
  • $image-60545167.webp
    $image-60545167.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 149
  • $image-3748465025.webp
    $image-3748465025.webp
    26 KB · Views: 148
You opinion is very much valued and appreciated
 
That second set your colors look fairly accurate.
The portrait set isn't so hot. The first is orangey/yellow, second looks like you tried to recover from a harsh flash and the third is yellow/green. The gas pump and the last one looks great.
I'd venture to guess you have a hard time with skin tones more than color in general. They can be hard to see and adjust properly, so don't get too frustrated with them.
 
Besides the composition with the rule of thirds cause I use a 17 to 40 canon f4 on my 5 d mark two but my 70-200mm isn't a 2.8 I'm talking about exposure color and other aspects really.

I don't understand that statement at all...care to reiterate that?

Learn more about reading your histogram if your colors are no where you want them, but also learn about processing your raw files to bring out the colors that the camera sensor can't produce fully simply because...it can't.
 
GrantH said:
I don't understand that statement at all...care to reiterate that?

Learn more about reading your histogram if your colors are no where you want them, but also learn about processing your raw files to bring out the colors that the camera sensor can't produce fully simply because...it can't.

Sorry what I mean is that what direction do I need to take and or if applicable how much software experience do I need to acquire to take my images from what they are to the ones I posted (source:images taken from photo academy,are not mine "obviously ;)" none of the pictures I posted are with strobes my equipment base is existing of just camera lens and hot shoe. I know I will never get dramatic images using camera mounted flash because the light is restricted and flat. I want to know what can I do with what I have. Or what do I need to expand to and practice on to achieve more professional results. I am merely a candid and armature photographer seeking direction in how to improve I have a studio strobe but not enough equipment to use it on location or even wirelessly I know I'm asking a lot but as someone eager to improve I simply ask what is it that I lack and what areas do I need improvement.
 

Attachments

  • $image-1028189947.webp
    $image-1028189947.webp
    58 KB · Views: 147
  • $image-1739599575.webp
    $image-1739599575.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 149
First, you need to edit your post to show the link to the images. It is not allowed to directly post images you did not take.

Second, you can do a lot with natural light with little equipment. You can bounce sunlight off of reflectors and such. I still think my advice for histogram knowledge and post production practice will get you the colors you want. Try moving your subject to either side in the frame as well, top to bottom too. It's a lot about subject and a lot about framing.

I don't shoot people...so I can't help too much.
 
Ok grant I definitely hear you on that and I deleted the post twice u don't know if it went away either way the pictures are from a iPhone app. Back to what your saying about histogram I know that there is a color histogram and an exposure one ( basically the red blue green scale then the over or under exposed scale) what do I need to learn about the color histogram to produce solid images
 

Nicely done is that what it's supposed to look like. What did you do
 
The sun in the second one is neon and needs to be toned back. Not realistic, but otherwise it's a great example of what you can do with a little photoshop know how
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom