Need help quick!

FancyFiona

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking at cameras for awhile now and I am going to be buying one in the next day or two. One thing that has me confused...are megapixels that important if I upgrade to a DSLR? How many megapixels should it be to produce great photos?

Look for a minimum of 10, that will give you good quality for all amateur print sizes.

I read somewhere that if you went with a point and shoot that you needed at least 10mp, but with the DSLR that less megapixels were okay. So, that isn't true? Some of the ones that I have been looking at are 8.0 mp, so should I go with 10 or greater with the DSLR as well?

It depends on how big you will want to print and also will determine how much you can crop

what sized prints are you looking at printing?
I have a 6.1mp and it is just fine, but i would say go for a least 8mp
The larger amounts of mp that you get the smaller the effect that it really has.

I really can't imagine that I would ever print bigger than an 8X10, but if I print an 8X10, I want the quality to be excellent!

I really can't imagine that I would ever print bigger than an 8X10, but if I print an 8X10, I want the quality to be excellent!
At that size which really isn't that big a 8mp would do just fine

Another quick question, what does it actually mean when description says "body only"? Does this just mean that it does not have the extra lens because I can't come up with anything else it could possibly mean!

At that size which really isn't that big a 8mp would do just fine
We are talking about the DSLR, right? I just don't want to get more confused than I already am..if that's possible. :confused:

Another quick question, what does it actually mean when description says "body only"? Does this just mean that it does not have the extra lens because I can't come up with anything else it could possibly mean!
i means that there is no lens period, you need a lens to take the pictures so a lens is a must buy on top of the camera body only. Unless your NOT buying from a good dealing the body only will still have battery, charger, etc.

We are talking about the DSLR, right? I just don't want to get more confused than I already am..if that's possible. :confused:
yes were are talking about DSLR, you dont take mp into account when shooting film.

Howdy......
It means BODY ONLY,NO LENS AT ALL!

Good shootin......
Vern...

Maybe I should clarify the original question and give some more info.. I am in very unfamiliar territory when it comes to the DSLR. I've never owned one, but I'm looking into buying one now. I just want to make sure that I get the right amount of Megapixels when I make my purchase! I read somewhere that with the DSLR, you don't need as many megapixels as you do with the Point and Shoot, because the lens will make the quality better, so the mp are less important with the DSLR! Of course, the higher the MP, the more expensive the camera! Since this is my first DSLR, can I print good quality 8X10 pics with an 8.0 MP, or do I need to go up to the 10.0MP? What is bothering me the most is the price difference! I don't want to spend more money than I have to on a something I have never used before. If I like the DSLR, then I will look into upgrading later, for now, I just want the basic!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back