Need Help: Theoretical Pricing Question

Go to Getty images, use their license pricing calculator. Use that in your presentation as well in case she brings up the subject of just using stock images.

If you are ok with working as a photographer for a company then I think the best way to show this is have a photographer bid on your next job or look at what photographers are willing to be paid for your job. Then look at the cost of a D7100, with lenses. I'm sure you already know what is the better idea. That's why you're here. The D7100 will last quite a while and the glass is superb. You would spend under $3000 dollars, with no need to pay another person, who could easily charge that much for just 1 commercial shoot. As long as your skills are good, you could make this a fun time at work while working. Just make sure that your superiors are happy with your photos and they will see that you can do the job as well. This could eventually turn into an in house opening in your company.

If you are ok with working as a photographer for a company then I think the best way to show this is have a photographer bid on your next job or look at what photographers are willing to be paid for your job. Then look at the cost of a D7100, with lenses. I'm sure you already know what is the better idea. That's why you're here. The D7100 will last quite a while and the glass is superb. You would spend under $3000 dollars, with no need to pay another person, who could easily charge that much for just 1 commercial shoot. As long as your skills are good, you could make this a fun time at work while working. Just make sure that your superiors are happy with your photos and they will see that you can do the job as well. This could eventually turn into an in house opening in your company.

Thanks for your comment! Not only am I okay with working as a photographer for a company--I'm *already* doing it! I've been doing all their photography for the past four years (even when I only had a point and shoot); we create calendars from those pictures every year and some of those get sent to our mayors and other elected officials. Last year, I was the one who DID the photo shoot for the ad campaign I used as the scenario here, and those went on billboards and buses, so yes, I think I can safely say they are happy with my photos. It was because of their satisfaction with the ad shoot that THEY decided to change my title, give me a raise, and buy me a camera.

This thread is essentially about exactly what you said--looking at what other photographers would be willing to be paid for this job. I chose to only use the ad shoot, because that kind of shoot is what will justify the cost of buying camera gear.
And yes, I already have a sold handle on which is the more cost-effective option for them--I just needed some actual numbers from actual professional photograpers to put some figures on paper for them.

I think I'll be able to do that with the information I've gotten thus far, so thank you everyone! I greatly appreciate it!

Most reactions

Back