Need help upgrading on a budget

Crazykirsch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I guess I'll put it plainly: I've set myself a budget of $300 and would like to get the most bang for buck upgrade to my old canon sd1200 and would like some input / help on models to look at. I suppose IQ is my number one priority, but I also enjoy taking macro / long exposure shots and so something versatile is important. In reading up and trying to decide, more and more it seems reinforced that sensor size is really what holds P&S's back from the rest of the field, and so used mirrorless is something I've also been looking into, but I know next to nothing about them. Any camera's out there that would fit that criteria at my budget? and any other sites out there for refurb / preowned besides B&H?

I would suggest as a start maybe a Canon 30d or better still 40d with kit lens 18-55mm and try to add a set Meike autofocus extension tubes later.

For 300$ I personally would get a DSLR, simply too old of a technology.For this amount look up Canon G15 used, you can get one easily for 300$ and less.
Will do all your needs and give you very good IQ, its a P&S camera but a very good one and has practically same controls as a DSLR and fast lens.

Thanks for the responses so far! I've actually been looking into some used DSLR's and the Nikon d3200 / d3000, if any of you have any experience with those, moreso the D3000 because it fits the budget a lot better. I have read great things about the g15 before, but I was really wanting to get into more manual shooting because I want to work on learning / improving shooting exposure / shutter speeds and such and P&S's only seem to have so much manual control

If you were to get a D3000, I would suggest saving up a bit longer and getting a D3200. The differences between the two are pretty significant, and well worth the extra cost. When I got my D3200 I did way to much research deciding between the D3100, 3200 and 3300

If you were to get a D3000, I would suggest saving up a bit longer and getting a D3200. The differences between the two are pretty significant, and well worth the extra cost. When I got my D3200 I did way to much research deciding between the D3100, 3200 and 3300

I'll second that, the D3200 is going to be more expensive but it's going to give you the kind of quality images your looking for and be something you will most likely use for years. You can check Ebay or sites like KEH Camera for used, that will save you quite a bit of money:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-Outfits/1/sku-DN014018792730?r=FE

So your best bet really would be to put a little extra money aside and go with the 3200.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was too late for that one sadly, thanks though! I've been trying to keep an eye on ebay

Most reactions

New Topics

Back