Need help with Nikon SB-600

nikonusersince2007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the Nikon D80 and the Nikon SB-600.
The SB-600 manual states it is compaticle with the Nikon D80.
I cannot figure out how to operate in "ITTL-BL" mode; this mode does not appear on the SB-600 LCD screen when I switch between the SB-600 modes that are compatible with the Nikon D80; which are Manual, ITTL standard(spot metering), and ITTL-BL (matrix metering). I understand I have to switch my camera body over to either spot or matrix metering in order for the SB-600 to operate in the choosen mode. However, I am still only able to change between ITTL basic and Manual mode...ITTL-BL does not appear on the SB-600 LCD screen even when my camera is set to Matrix metering. What is going on? Thanks for the insight :)

D80 has commander mode. Put it in manual and go to strobists.com and check out the lighting 101. Have fun!
I have never used the TTL features of my sb600 and D90 so I can't give ya any answers on that one, sorry.
Strobist: Lighting 101

What does "commander mode" mean?

Thanks

D80 has commander mode. Put it in manual and go to strobists.com and check out the lighting 101. Have fun!
I have never used the TTL features of my sb600 and D90 so I can't give ya any answers on that one, sorry.
Strobist: Lighting 101

You can control you flash off camera with it.

You should read your cameras manual. It will tell you how to set everything up. Also, you should read your sb600s manual.

D80MenuCommand.jpg

DSC_3297.jpg

I have the D80 and the SB-600 and they are definitely compatible. Depressing the mode button on the SB600 will put it in the TTL BL mode but only if the flash is attached to the camera and the camera is on.

Jerry

The manual for my SB-600 is horrid. Youtube searches saved the day for me with using that flash.

BL is "Balanced Light" mode. There is no setting for it. When the flash is mounted and turned AND the metering mode is set to MATRIX balanced flash is enabled. Nothing else to do.

The manual for my SB-600 is horrid. .......

Mine is just peachy keen.

Yeah, I made a harsh unfair Nikon statement. Maybe I should've said "there were resources more valuable to me than the SB-600 manual, such as youtube searches".

But at least I didn't comment on the SB-600 "menu" itself =)

"depressing" the mode button-pressing the mode button?- Have done this and only "M" or "ITTL" appears but "ITTL-BL" does not. When you press the mode button on your SB-600 with the Nikon D80 attached and on you are able to scroll through all 3 modes ("M", "ITTL" and "ITTL-BL") as see all these options on the SB-600 LCD screen?...If you can I must be doing something wrong. What about anything set on your Nikon D80 inorder to see all 3 of these modes? I just don't get why I cannot see "ITTL-BL" on my SB-600 LCD screen. HELP PLEASE :)

I have the D80 and the SB-600 and they are definitely compatible. Depressing the mode button on the SB600 will put it in the TTL BL mode but only if the flash is attached to the camera and the camera is on.

Jerry

BL is "Balanced Light" mode. There is no setting for it. When the flash is mounted and turned AND the metering mode is set to MATRIX balanced flash is enabled. Nothing else to do.

First, do a reset to your SB-600 by holding down the 2 buttons (look and see on the flash)----then put your metering mode to Matrix like explained above.

Are you saying when the flash is mounted and the camera and flash unit are on and the camera is set to matrix mode I will ONLY see "ITTL" on the SB-600 Scrren not "ITTL-BL" when camera set to Matrix mode? I know the SB-600 shows "ITTL" when the camera is set to spot metering, but I thought the SB-600 is suppose to display "ITTL-BL" when the camera is set to Matrix.? Do I just assume the SB-600 is firing in "ITTL-BL" mode when the camera is set to matrix even though the SB-600 screen indicated "ITTL" not "ITTL-BL"? Thanks

no. reset the flash. Put it on the camera. Set camera to matrix, turn on flash, turn on the camera, press the mode button until you see iTTL-BL

Most reactions

Back