Need help with Nikon SB-600

Are you saying when the flash is mounted and the camera and flash unit are on and the camera is set to matrix mode I will ONLY see "ITTL" on the SB-600 Scrren not "ITTL-BL" when camera set to Matrix mode? I know the SB-600 shows "ITTL" when the camera is set to spot metering, but I thought the SB-600 is suppose to display "ITTL-BL" when the camera is set to Matrix.? Do I just assume the SB-600 is firing in "ITTL-BL" mode when the camera is set to matrix even though the SB-600 screen indicated "ITTL" not "ITTL-BL"? Thanks
Nope, sorry I was wrong. I just checked it on both my D90 and D60 and I can select ITTL-BL with the SB-600 mode switch on both of them.

When I press the mode button this is the read out. Starting with TTL it next goes to M 1/1 then to TTL BL. If your's is not doing this perhaps you have a defective SB600. Try resetting it as someone else suggested by holding in the mode and on/off buttons simultaneously. Of course I'm sure you've already tried this. If and when you find the problem let us know what you found as I'm curious.

Jerry

Jerry-These are the read outs you see displayed on your SB-600 screen when you have it attached to your D80? When you see TTL BL displayed on the SB-600 LCD screen is your D80 set to matrix mode in order for you to see TTL BL or you you able to scroll through TTL, M 1/1, TTL BL all with your D80 set on ______ mode?
Thanks
When I press the mode button this is the read out. Starting with TTL it next goes to M 1/1 then to TTL BL. If your's is not doing this perhaps you have a defective SB600. Try resetting it as someone else suggested by holding in the mode and on/off buttons simultaneously. Of course I'm sure you've already tried this. If and when you find the problem let us know what you found as I'm curious.

Jerry

One important issue that may have been overlooked, even though it's been mentioned several times, is that the metering mode on your camera **MUST** be set to MATRIX. If it is set to center-weighted or spot metering then automatic fill flash WILL NOT WORK since the metering is not looking at the entire frame of the image.

Yes, I have the camera set for Matrix metering and still will not display TTL-BL. Does this maybe also have to do with the focus setting on the camera weither it is set in single or dynamic or auto focus mode- or is this completely un related and has no barring as to why I am not seeing TTL-BL?
You mentioned "automatic fill flash"- I sometimes use my pop up flash on my camera body as fill flash is the TTL-BL mode a "fill flash mode"?
* Another question I have is: When I have my camera set to multiple exposures (fires 1 shot after another up to 6 images per second) the SB-600 seems to only flash for the 1st picture taken and I have noticed the red "ready" light does not come back on as quickly as the camera shoots through the other 5 pictures...Is there some way to set my flash for a quicker recyle time for the purpose of shooting in "burst" mode (multiple exposure mode)?

Thank you!!!
One important issue that may have been overlooked, even though it's been mentioned several times, is that the metering mode on your camera **MUST** be set to MATRIX. If it is set to center-weighted or spot metering then automatic fill flash WILL NOT WORK since the metering is not looking at the entire frame of the image.

Autofocus and balanced fill should be completely unrelated. I can't think of any reason for it to be related.

Just a suggestion, but I'd recommend you write and ask Nikon. I had a question about their flashes a few years ago, sent them an email, and had an answer back in an hour or two. Obviously something is wrong somewhere but I'm at a loss to know what it is.

The flash not sequencing as fast as the camera is normal. The camera can shoot several frames per second, the flash takes a second or so to cycle. They aren't going to mesh like that. Fresh, hot batteries will reduce recycle time but not enough to keep up with a burst of several shots. When I try it I usually get about every other shot if my batteries are fresh.
Yes, I have the camera set for Matrix metering and still will not display TTL-BL. Does this maybe also have to do with the focus setting on the camera weither it is set in single or dynamic or auto focus mode- or is this completely un related and has no barring as to why I am not seeing TTL-BL?
You mentioned "automatic fill flash"- I sometimes use my pop up flash on my camera body as fill flash is the TTL-BL mode a "fill flash mode"?
* Another question I have is: When I have my camera set to multiple exposures (fires 1 shot after another up to 6 images per second) the SB-600 seems to only flash for the 1st picture taken and I have noticed the red "ready" light does not come back on as quickly as the camera shoots through the other 5 pictures...Is there some way to set my flash for a quicker recyle time for the purpose of shooting in "burst" mode (multiple exposure mode)?

Thank you!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back