need help with prehistoric minolta :)

niko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello

i'm trying out my dad's old minolta xg7 camera. the film somehow didnt load correctly so yeah i pretty much wasted a whole roll of film. i dont quite get the manual on how to load it correctly.

the manual's right here: http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/manuals/film-cameras/film_mf_slr/xg_7/xg_7_manual.pdf (pages 14-17).

theres a little space underneath the contraption on the left (the ones with teeth; no not the white one). should i insert the film leader there or am i supposed to just make it slide/roll along the white spool?

replies will be greatly appreciated! (pictures would be nice since i really dont know what im supposed to do)

Thanks!

If you read what the manual you posted says you need to slide the film into the slit on the takeup roll and then start to advance the film some to make the film tight. When you close the camera you will have to advance a couple of frames to get to #1. The best way to confirm if your film is loaded propely after the back is closed is to turn the rewind crank slightly if there is tension there you are loaded. You should not be able to turn that dial more than 3/4 of a turn at the most 1 turn.

heyhey! thanks for the reply. the takeup spool is the white one right? so the film should go around it in a clockwise motion?

I think you've got it!

And don't overlook the importance of JIP's tip about backwinding the rewind knob.
In fact, I'd do this: Advance according to the manual. Then, once you've closed the back, turn the rewind to tighten the spool. Then! - as you advance a couple of times toward that first frame - watch the rewind knob carefully. It should turn counterclockwise (looking at it from the top) as you advance the film.

If it does then you KNOW that the film is advancing correctly.

The reason this is smart is simply that sometimes, even after everything appears right and you've closed the back, that film leader can slip free of the take-up spool. And you'll be advancing and shooting with no film going through the camera.

I've done it. We've all done it!

Oh, and BTW, "Prehistoric!!!" Please be a little kinder to some of us old fossils who actually own cameras that are a lot older than that XG7! Hell, I can remember when the XG7 was considered too modern and technically advanced with that fancy "automatic electronic exposure control." My first 35mm was a Pentax SV without even a built-in meter.

Have fun with your "relic." You're gonna love it!

Oh, and BTW, "Prehistoric!!!" Please be a little kinder to some of us old fossils who actually own cameras that are a lot older than that XG7! Hell, I can remember when the XG7 was considered too modern and technically advanced with that fancy "automatic electronic exposure control." My first 35mm was a Pentax SV without even a built-in meter.

Have fun with your "relic." You're gonna love it!

I thought the same thing, My first camera was a Canon TL from my father and it was not SUPER old when he gave it to me.

haha sorry about that and thank you for the replies!

woooooh! the rewind knob is turning counterclockwise when i advance the film! thats means i loaded it correctly right? haha

thanks again guys. be prepared for more noob questions from me haha

Haha!
Pre historic!?!
I have half a dozen, some from grand dad's time. Dad's so possessive that he doesn't let me touch them fearing that i'll end up screwing it up trying to learn how to use it!
My fav is a rolleiflex TLR though, i find the tlr out of the crowd.

Most reactions

Back