Need help

Dave NY

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, total newbie here.

I have a Canon EOS 80D and I am trying to take pics of waterfalls. I have the camera setup on a tripod, Tv mode, a 2 second delay after the shutter button is pressed and I thought I was adjusting the time the shutter was open to get the blurred water affect but regardless of what I changed the shutter speed to it made no difference.

I am doing what is shown in this video (I believe) but it isn't working. Am I missing something?

Below is an example of 1 of the shots.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

• Waterfall Resized.jpg
    Waterfall Resized.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 38
Dave, I did not watch the video.
BUT you don't mention two things.
1, were you shooting on manual?
2, Did you use an ND(Neutral Density) filter.
If you are trying to get that silky water look in the daytime you almost HAVE to be doing both of the above. You don't say if silky water was your goal.
If you are only in Tv mode, yes your speed will likely stay on 2 sec but the camera is tweaking the ISO and the Av to give you a proper exposure.
In daylight normally 2 sec TV will blow out the exposure so you add the ND filter which blocks light. For waterfalls I think a .9ND or 3 f-stops of light cutting ability is needed for silky water. Better watch a uTube on using ND filters for shooting waterfalls.
Also make sure the camera "safety shift" is set to OFF or the camera might override your manual settings!
Best of luck....
SS

Sharpshooter,

I was in Tv Mode, I did have a Filter on but I don't think it was a ND Filter. It didn't seem like there was enough time passed before it was ready for another pic, maybe just me. It was the middle of the day.

I think I will go back with lower light (towards sunset) and see if I get the results expected.

By "Silky" water, I assume you mean the flowing water effect, that's what I am trying to get.

So am I correct in assuming by your response that in Tv Mode, all other functions will be automatic? I am not experienced enough to go full manual.

Last edited:
Sharpshooter,

I was in Tv Mode, I did have a Filter on but I don't think it was a ND Filter. It didn't seem like there was enough time passed before it was ready for another pic, maybe just me. It was the middle of the day.

I think I will go back with lower light (towards sunset) and see if I get the results expected.

By "Silky" water, I assume you mean the flowing water effect, that's what I am trying to get.

So am I correct in assuming by your response that in Tv Mode, all other functions will be automatic? I am not experienced enough to go full manual.
Dave, yes, the flowing water effect, when the water looks all movement blurred is referred to as Silky.
And yes, In Tv mode the camera will Auto set all the other modes for you to give a proper exposure. BUT regardless, IF your exif data shows your Tv stayed at 2 secs the water should have been silky. Look at the data because it's possible your camera changed the Tv as well!?
I looked at the video AND at 1:40, she very in passing with no elaboration mentions using an ND filter. The ND cuts light without affecting the colors etc.
DON'T be afraid to use manual. You just simply set the 3 parameters yourself.
1, set the ISO to 100.
2, set your Tv to 2 secs, as you did.
3, set your Av to 16, just as a starting point.
If the image is overexposed, change the Av to 22 if it will go there, or more if it allows.
If it's still overexposed, change your Tv to 1 sec or even .5. At .5 you may not get enough silk at which time you need to shoot when it's not as bright out or use an ND filter!
Dave this stuff just seems complicated because you're new, it's actually pretty easy as is shooting in Manual.
Good luck, SS

If you want longer shutter times you can get ND filters in different “strengths”. Think of ND filters as sunglasses for your camera. They allow you to have longer shutter speeds for the look you are after. And yes you have to do this in the M setting. I have a 50D and got some decent shots handheld with out a ND the other day but it was late evening, sun was behind the mountains. Image Stabilization was on. While I was shooting I wish I had my tripod and ND filters so I could have got even better shots.

Sharpshooter,

I went back to the falls as the light was not hitting them so much and of course, everything you mentioned was spot on. I was able to get some silky, blurry water but other things in the photo weren't optimal but that's OK, I learned something, Thank You.

I will be looking into getting a ND filter before attempting anymore waterfall shots mid day or at least when the falls are brightly lit up.

It does seem complicated right now because I am trying to learn the camera and what each thing does and how the aperture, shutter, etc affects how the end result will come out.

Here is the picture I mentioned earlier. If I had an ND filter and a tripod I could have made it "silkier".

Attachments

• IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 38
Warfarin,

That is a great pic, that's one I would take.

Find an interesting subject you want to shoot set your camera up and just try different settings. Use Tv shutter priority and take some shots at different settings. Then use Av and do the same. That can give you some understanding of how different settings affect your shot. Then try M manual and use what you liked about settings in the other modes to set yourself and play with those settings. That should help you start to feel more comfortable with your camera and the different settings.

slat,

That's what I was going to do. I get frustrated trying to make setting changes and forgetting how to do it and thought about just what your saying to get more familiar with the camera. Just the other day I was getting some shots of a waterfall with a new ND filter and finally got to where I could set the focus to a single point and finally got the shot I had been trying to get before the filter, then walking back to the car wanted some shots of wildflowers, switched to Auto, then it wasn't in single point focus anymore and I couldn't get back to where I had to set that.

I just have a lot to learn about the camera and get real familiar with it

Thanks for the advice, it gives me a sanity check.

With Canon none of the Auto modes (portrait, landscape, sports, etc) will let you change anything, including focus points. If you want to change things you have to shoot in the “creative” modes i.e. P, Tv, Av and M

Most reactions

New Topics

Back