Need Input on Canon Vs Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am saving for a new camera and I have had my eyes set on the Nikon D90 with 18-105 kit for $1100 ( I already have the NIKKOR 55-200VR for it).
I went to the store and held the D90, liked it's layout, and it's very similar features and specs as the D300S which is quite a bit more coin. Seems solid with a good amount of room to grow into.

Now, on another forum I am on a guy is selling his Canon 40D and Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 Macro DC lens with less then 5000 clicks, in perfect condition (according to him), for $850. He just bought the 7D so has no need for the 40.
I dont know enough about Canons, or the comparison between Nikons and Canons to tell whether or not the 40D is a smoking deal AND BETTER then the D90.
If the D90 has better capability, I dont mind paying the $1100 for it. BUt if the 40D blows it out AND is cheaper, then why not.

Please advise on real world comparison and what to expect.

lol The 7D didnt come out yet. It has only been announced. And if you can go for Canon. Cheaper lenses in the long run ;)

*Hides before Nikon people get here.

Ah, well then he is selling the 40D to pick the 7D when it does start shipping at the end of the month. Maybe their taking preorders or something though....

More Lenses
Greater Capability
IT SHOOTS VIDEO (snickers in a sarcasm pool)
Great high ISO performance (will outdo a 40D any day)
Ease of use is wonderful
Use of older lenses
You can use that telephoto lens you already have

~Michael~

Given the situation and the fact you already have a Nikkor lens, just get the D90.

Now, the D90 or the 7D? No contest... :) But that's not what you're asking so I'll pipe down.

The D90 is a good call, especially as you already have a good lens for it.

I guess it sounds like the D90 is it.
Thanks Michael for the highlights! I didn't know about the ISO difference.

Tharmsen- yeah I wouldn't think twice if I could get a deal on the 7d that would equal the D90

Go with the nikon, you will have better glass.

Better glass better shots.

Last edited:
A plug for Canon from someone named 'Village Idiot', I rest my case :D

Another vote for the D90, proud happy owner of one here!

Enjoy.

Go with the nikon, you will have better glass.

Better glass better shots.
If only this were true. The fact of the matter is that both Canon and Nikon have outstanding glass. Some models in each camp are better than others, and neither brand has a 100% perfect selection. Where Canon has an edge is in price.

Nikon lacks super fast primes and a line-up of constant f/4's. These are serious holes in their lens line up if you ask me (and many others).

As for image quality, neither brand holds a global edge over the other, to claim one does is pretty fanboyish.

A plug for Canon from someone named 'Village Idiot', I rest my case :D

Another vote for the D90, proud happy owner of one here!

Enjoy.

Don't get angry because all of my pictures are better.

But then again, a 21mp FF Canon camera does help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back