Need new lense - Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8?

Steve94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new lense to upgrade from my cheapo Tamron 28-80 I got with my Elan II package. I have since recieved a Canon 1V (as a gift....I still don't really know what I'm doing with it) and shoot mostly outdoors, and occasionally indoors, when I'm on trips. I'm looking for something in the $300 range and this Sigma sounds good. Once again, I am no means a professional of any sort, although I'm looking for a crisp sharp picture which I don't really feel I'm getting with my current lenses (the Tamron, a Canon 50mm and Canon 80 - 200mm).
Does anyone have any experince with the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8? The website says it is for both film and Digital, although made for Digital. Will this have any effect on my film?
Are there any other lenses in the same price range that are better in the approximate zoom length?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

I have found that the Sigma has very dodgy focussing with an EOS3 - it hunts around a lot and is not particularly sharp.

If you can stretch to them then Primes are better and a Canon 105mm F.2.8 works well as a portrait lens whilst also having a macro facility.

If you are dead set on getting a zoom then the 28-135 IS USM Canon Lense is probabaly your best bet and there are usually quite a few second hand ones knocking about.

Generally speaking if a lense is marked as a Digital one it will fit on your camera fine but you may find that you experience vignetting around the edge as the best part of the glass is the centre which would be used by an APS-C sized sensor.

From my experience - avoid Sigma, Tamron and all of the generics. They have to reverse engineer the entire autofocus system from Canon.

Buy Canon and you can't go far wrong.

A 24-70 F:2.8 USM L Canon lense really is worth the extra cash!

Spike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back