Need new lenses

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK it's time to look at some new glass. I have been shooting with my cheapo Canon kit lenses for about 2-3years now and are finally worn out so bad that the focus tube is getting sloppy on my 28-80 and will not hold true focus anymore once the AF servo lets go of it. So I am looking for reccomendations for some (at least temporary) glass. I can't afford to buy really decent ones right now but need something better than what I currently am using. I have a: Canon EF 28-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 II, and EF 80-200mm 1:4.5-5.6 II lenses right now. This lense(s) will primarily be used on my Canon 10D with has a multiplication factor of 1.6

So I guess Canon L's are out, what else should I be looking at in your opinion?

Thanks in advance- Ben Steffen

10D... Thats a nice DSLR...

Anyway, what type of pictures are you planning to take with your new glass? Price range? Considered other manufacturers? Perhaps you should consider saving up a little more to find some glass up to par with your 10D and keep you happy in the long term. Makes more sense than settling for another "cheapo" lens you might not be happy with down the road.

I'd go for a prime lens, like the 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4 if you an afford it), or the 85mm f1.8. You have a decent range covered with the zooms you have, and a prime will let you take pictures that a zoom won't.

Yes I am already saving (in the background anyway!) for better glass. I just need something in the meantime that "works". Looking for 2-300$? I do all kinds of shots. Very broad. Have looked at some Tamron, Sigma, and Base model Canon's so far.

markc said:
I'd go for a prime lens, like the 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4 if you an afford it), or the 85mm f1.8. You have a decent range covered with the zooms you have, and a prime will let you take pictures that a zoom won't.
Yes then there is that. Something worth thinking about. Is there an adapter to make FL or FP manual lenses work with my camera?

Generally happy with Sigma

Recently got a “Sigma 20-40 f/2.8” for use on my 10D, this is not a temporary lens. I am happy with it but having some mixed reviews about the auto focus seems a little slow and soft.
Also have two “Sigma 28-70 f2.8” that I got a few years back for my EOS-1(s) they are holding up good despite that one got jammed by a bellhop. Have a few FD Sigma lenses that I been using for years all still work good except one that I got around 1987.

If you have an extra $2500 lying around :wink: this might be nice lens to have :wink:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=319784&is=USA

Have an adapter it’s not a good option for day to day shooting, because everything is manual. They work fine for specialty lenses, can’t recall where I got it

Jeff Canes said:
If you have an extra $2500 lying around :wink: this might be nice lens to have

Have an adapter it’s not a good option for day to day shooting, because everything is manual. They work fine for specialty lenses, can’t recall where I got it
OMG! Don't do that to me Jeff! I have gone to bed and had dreams about that exact lense! (J/K! or am I?) And thank you for the correction on the FD that is what I meant. Mainly I was inquiring about that specifically for specialty lenses. I'd say 90-95% of what I shoot is full manual everthing anyway so it wouldn't be a real big deal. Plus you can get some awfully fast primes for real cheap nowadays in FD.

No matter what zoom lens, I'd still have a 50mm f1.8 in my bag. Its a great lens and no reason to spring for it since its so cheap at < $100. I found the older metal mount version the 50 prime for under $60. I would bet that you would be happy with this "cheap" lens for years. Lens has served me very well for years.

Back to zooms... If I were in your shoes, I'd put as much of that cash into the lens you really want to buy. For the interim, I could recommend the old ('87 ish) canon 70-210mm f4. If you can find it, it should be around $100 bucks. Its pre-USM. Its autofocus is a little slow. The focus ring doesn't turn as smoothly as I'd like. Its the ol'push/pull zoom design. Its way cheap. Its got a constant f4 aperature. Its light weight. As far as I could tell, the glass is good. I got mine locally for under $100 in good condition with the intention of reselling. I tried it out a few times and got good results. Lens now sits on my shelf as an "oldie but goodie" ( couldn't bring myself to sell it ). I take it with me whenever I need a lightweight.

I've seen a few sell on ebay. Here's what the oldie look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4687&item=3816989813&rd=1

My cousin has canon's 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM. He got it used from B&H at just over $150 ( I think ). He's happy with it and the pictures I've seen are sharp. I personally have had no experience with it.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
They do (or did) make adapters for putting FD lenses onto EOS cameras. The Canon made ones were limited release for pros back when Canon made the switch to EF lenses. Therefore they are rare and expensive. I have heard of 3rd party adapters but they are supposedly pretty crappy.

Besides that, you may have problems using a 10D with old manual lenses. Electronics and all that.

Very true about the possible problems on the 10D. That was something I had sort of thought about, but not much. Looks like for now I am going to pick up a Sigma 24-70 1:3.5-5.6 AS HF IF to replace my pathetic EF28-80 in a pinch. I found one brand new for $84.00 that really won't affect my savings stash for fast glass later this year. My 80-200 seems to be OK-ish at the moment and going back through my exif data I see that I really haven't used it much since buying the 10D so I am gonna put the tele's on the back burner for now and just deal with the softness Canon was nice enough to give me in the form of my current cheap somewhat functional model. Thanks for the feedback guys, any thoughts on the Sigma or comprable?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back