need new tripod to support my brick

scyzoryk_o4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, For about 2 years i have been using a 30$(cdn) tripod. It has worked great untill i recently got the 17-55 nikon lense aswell as a sd-800 flash. Especially when i atach the external battery, the stand feels like its going to collapse. The other problem im having is that i cant do vertical pictures on it because the lense makes it turn down.
Now im looking to use the old tripod for a flash stand and buying a new one for the camera.
Any suggestions as far as what i should get?
I was looking at some thing like this:
Tripod Manfrotto Professional #075 - Hamilton Cameras For Sale - Kijiji Hamilton

Manfrotto 141 RC tripod with 3 way head $150 or best offer - Toronto Cameras For Sale - Kijiji Toronto

If you could help me out that would be great
thanks in advance

I just ordered the Slik 700DX Pro legs to go with my Manfrotto 488 midi ball head. Prior to that I had the Manfrotto 3001/190 legs.

The 488 has been a really nice head for me and supports my D90 with grip and 18-250 lens just fine.

You are going to enjoy the Slik legs, I've got a Jobu Jr 2 gimbal mounted on them for the 50-200 and 50-500.

For normal size lens I use a ball head. I have the Velbon Sherpa 550R with the QHD-71Q ball head and quick release plates. Since purchasing the ball head I have not used my pan head at all...

One thing to consider when looking at ball heads is the ability to pan. I recently started taking panorama's and the only way to do that with my current ball head is to get the tension just right so the lens stays put but it's loose enough to turn. Not ideal :)

Cheers, Don

Here are some general rules for buying a tripod.

1. The legs need to be long enough to bring the camera up to eye level with out extending the center column with the head attached. Extending the column makes the setup less stable.

2. The head needs to be a decent quality head. There are many makers of good heads out there depending on your price range.

3. The legs and the head need to have a maximum load rating of at least twice the weight of the heaviest gear you ever plan to put on it. This also helps provide the stability you need and want in a tripod.

4. The material the tripod is made of needs to be chosen with a few things in mind.

a. Whether you will be carrying it long distances or not. Carbon fiber is lighter and more expensive than aluminum.

b. What conditions you will be using it in. For general use or studio use Aluminum works just fine. In harsher conditions Carbon fiber is a better choice since the carbon fiber will not corrode as aluminum will if it is immersed in salt water or water with a lot of minerals. (depending on the minerals) If constantly in very wet conditions a good hard wood tripod is the best. Most people do not use them much as they are heavy, and expensive but they are the most stable choice in a tripod and work well in very damp climates.

5. Pick one with leg locks and control locks that you like and feel comfortable with. Manfrotto lever locks are convenient, however Gitzo's no twist legs are very rapid to set up with their twist locks. Gitzo twist locks are very reliable.

6. Pick a price range you can live with. Good tripods will cost a bit of money, but a good tripod, taken care of can last a lifetime.

I just went through the same dilemna, using a gripped D90, SB-800, 70-200/2.8 even when mounting from the body instead of using the lens collar.

I happened to come across this tripod from Best Buy and has well exceeded my expectations. Very Light, carry case, stone bag, very stable (never needed to use the stone bag yet), carbon fibre and magnesium.

It shows $199, but it rang up only $159.

Velbon - El Carmagne 3-Section Tripod

thanks alot guys! For now im going to keep checking the classifieds and hopefully ill b able to pick up a nice used tripod, probably a manfrotto just because it seems to be most common

Most reactions

New Topics

Back