Need of a new lens

MariusF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im wondering what lens to buy, first of i need it for some wildlife and i looking into the 70-300 (just since it cheap) or make a big effort and buy a 70-200 2,8 with a teleconverter (the 1.4 or the 1.7) to use with it just to make it a bit longer.

Or 3rd wait for nikon to announce the new lenses that they have patended last year....

I have looked that the sigma and the tamron but im not so impressed with those. Any idea on other lenses?

Comes down to what conditions you will be shooting in. And How much you will be doing actual wildlife & sports and in what lighting,weather conditions. And whether price is a major concern to you.

1st choice for me would be the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7x as gives the best speed and glass. Also most flexible setup with having an f2.8 zoom when need for indoor and lower light shooting.

2nd choice would be the Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D two-ring with 1.7x. No VR but build and Image IQ that matches the 70-200 for half the price.

3rd choice would be the 70-300vr proven track record with being lighter & lesser build of the 1st choice. Also slower variable f-stop not ideal for indoor or lower light. But the VR does help quite a bit for static shots in lower light. I can get most of the time consistent 1/20th-1/60th results. Negative also being a slower lens cannot use teleconverters with it.

4th choice would be the new 55-300vr as bottom of the consumer range and build. But optically a great cheaper 300mm zoom.

5th choice would be the compact & lightweight 55-200vr. I find it suitable for much of my walkabout shooting. Not to intrusive,lightweight and compact. Cheap plastic mount but optically stellar performer for price range. Picked mine up used for $125 and for that price of $125-$150 refrub price is the Best Bang for the buck zoom there is. And found myself using it most of the time for last 4 months or so.

Last edited:
You didn't say what sort of camera body your using. If it's a d200,300,d700,or D7000 then you might want to consider looking at older manual focus telephotos for wildlife.

A 300mm f4.5 ed ais only cost around $300, and has amazing optical quality--better then any of the modern zooms in that focal length.

There's also the 600mm f5.6 ais or 500mm f4 ais, both cost around $1500 in average used condition, both are amazing wildlife lenses.

If you must have autofocus, consider the 300mm f4 af. They sell for around $450, the AF-S version can be had for around $600.

Most reactions

Back