Need quick CR2 file help

Breanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A fellow photographer sent me RAW CR2 files on a disk. She uses CS4 and I use CS3. When I try to open the images, I get an error in Photoshop- it says, "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" ?? Any ideas?? I've never transfered RAWS onto a CD, so I don't have a clue. Could it have something to do with the .xmp file extenstions? Or because I'm in CS3 and she is in CS4?

Just a thought--maybe you need to transfer the images OFF of the CD and onto a local hard drive. Not sure what Operating SYstem you are using. Are you trying to open the .CR2 files? That is what you should be trying to open, but I think maybe the files need to be on your hard drive and not on a piece of removeable media.

ALso, if you suspect the .xmp files generated by CS4 are messing up your system, you could remove the .xmp files. I'm pretty sure that CS3 will open Canon RAw files from the 1D series up to the Mark II,and it will also open the raw files of the EOS 5D and 40D and so, maybe if the camera she uses is an EOS 5D Mark II or 50D, perhaps your Adobe Camera RAW module needs the free update.

You need the adobe camera raw update as in battletone's post.

You need the adobe camera raw update as in battletone's post.
correct poster!

It is your version of Camera RAW is too old for the version the camera needs to use, Ask what camera they were using then we can help more.

You may even be forced to buy CS4 to open that type of RAW format. I know PS stopped making updates for one of the CS's so people would have to upgrade.

The Camera RAW update, ACR v5.5, in the earlier reply won't work with PS/CS3. Don't even try to use it in CS3.

If the OP needs a newer Camera RAW than the last of the ACR v4 offerings there are two choices:

1. Download the free Adobe DNG Converter and use it to convert the camera specific RAW files into Adobes standardized RAW format. All versions of PS since CS can read the resulting DNG files (PS/CS does require at least ACR v2.2). Links:

Windows: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 update
Mac: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Mac : Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 update

2: Upgrade to PS/CS4 and then update the ACR v5.0 that ships with CS4 to v5.5. PowerMac users should consider avoiding ACR v5.5 and only updated to v5.4 until v5.6.

If you aren't regularily having to deal with RAW files newer than your CS3 can handle, the free DNG Converter is probably the better route. Its free. It is an extra step, but can do batch processing of whole folders so its not too much of a chore.

The Camera RAW update, ACR v5.5, in the earlier reply won't work with PS/CS3. Don't even try to use it in CS3.

If the OP needs a newer Camera RAW than the last of the ACR v4 offerings there are two choices:

1. Download the free Adobe DNG Converter and use it to convert the camera specific RAW files into Adobes standardized RAW format. All versions of PS since CS can read the resulting DNG files (PS/CS does require at least ACR v2.2). Links:

Windows: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 update
Mac: Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Mac : Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 update

2: Upgrade to PS/CS4 and then update the ACR v5.0 that ships with CS4 to v5.5. PowerMac users should consider avoiding ACR v5.5 and only updated to v5.4 until v5.6.

If you aren't regularily having to deal with RAW files newer than your CS3 can handle, the free DNG Converter is probably the better route. Its free. It is an extra step, but can do batch processing of whole folders so its not too much of a chore.

It appears that while I had originally posted the link for CS4, when I went in to replace it about 2 seconds later with the correct CS3 link, it had only replaced the display text and not the link.

It was late....I tried. Fixed for future search.

THANK YOU! The DNG conversion worked perfectly! You rock :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back