Need serious and quick help!!!

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I plan to enter this piece for a competition that ends on the 8th August.

39307_1uk5DIhzPDoOB5m1_wZnW4RiO.jpg

The main theme of the competition is "Natural Balance"

My piece is a furniture, a collapsible shelf that hangs from the ceiling. My original inspiration was from seed pods that hang from tree branches, with each compartment that holds a seed to life, but never took the time to think of a name for it.

So my altered "theory" to suit this competition is the best way to strike a balance is to obey the laws of the nature, which in this case, is gravity. I don't want some random fancy name that has no content, that's why I am still stuck.

I was thinking of something plant related, something people feel familar with. Something that isn't overwhelming such that people have to be explained to. Something that will let people know what they are looking at. As simple as possible. That's why I never gave a special name for it and simply gave it the more direct name.

So if could be kind enough to contribute some ideas or anything that reminds you about this piece, please let me know asap!

Current suggestions are Tensegirty and Life Storey. Tensegrity describes exactly the technical aspect of my design, whereas Life Storey describes the emotional part of my design. I want to strike a middle ground...

On another hand, I think the balance part is pretty self explainatory so I think I want to go more towards the conceptual part, which is the "emotion carrying pod".

definatly mention the word pod in the name. look in a thesaurus for words for pod, tension, balance etc.

this looks really neat btw. i want one, it looks sweet and i want that one..its yellow :)

are the upright 'supports' cables or metal bars? it'd be cool if you could do a version with leds housed somewhere around where the supports meet the perspex shelf then the whole shelf could have a glow to it... :)
its very cooland if i had 1. a house and 2. some money i would definatley have one. :)

How about - Entrepod

A play on the word entrepot.

Entrepot:

en·tre·pôt
n.
A place where goods are stored or deposited and from which they are distributed.
A trading or market center.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French, from entreposer, to store : entre, in, among (from Latin inter-. See inter-) + poser, to place (from Old French. See pose1).]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

or from www.m-w.com

Main Entry: en·tre·pôt
Pronunciation: 'än(n)-tr&-"pO
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French entrepost, from entreposer to put between, from entre- inter- + poser to pose, put
: an intermediary center of trade and transshipment

OR perhaps it could be an Emotipod

It's hung from the ceiling, just like a seed pod hanging from the tree.

Actually the design has some potential safety issues. Everything depends on tension, so when you want to release it, it can hurt people, so I don't think any company will want to sell it.

molested_cow said:
Actually the design has some potential safety issues. Everything depends on tension, so when you want to release it, it can hurt people, so I don't think any company will want to sell it.

The obvious answer is to advertise it in "Soldier of fortune" :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back