Need some advice here please.

Dmariehill

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm using a Canon t4i with a 18mm-135mm lens right now. It's been a great walkabout town kind of lens but I think it's time for me to expand to something else. I'm often walking on a raised boardwalk which impacts my ability to get close to the things I'm shooting. I think one of my issues with these photos is my lens. Should I be looking at a longer lens to get closer to these. . . .
1. This one was close to the boardwalk and I was able to sit on the edge of the boardwalk and get pretty close to them. Maybe I need more of a macro lens for this shot?
$IMG_3812crop.jpg

2. This guy was 10 feet or so off the boardwalk in a marsh, so no way was I going to be able to get closer to him.
$IMG_3820crop.jpg

3. This one obviously was a long shot. I was trying to get the darker high sky with the lighter lower sky and the tree. I'm not sure it worked. So, on this one, is it the subject, the lens, or my settings. . . .
$IMG_3865crop.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions! I've been having so much fun with this camera!

Canon 100mm f/2.8 EF HSM Macro is decent, and not too expensive(NOT the L-model, just the EF HSM model). USED macro lenses are often a very attractive deal--most are almost brand-new. Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF-SP is nice, Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X, Sigma 105mm EX HSM macro, all decent. ANy of those four lenses would be better for bugs without being too expensive or too "fringe-like".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back