need some advice on canon purchase

bunsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at picking up a used 1d body ii n body however it has approx 125k shutter actuations. Now i know this camera is rated to 200k shutter actuations so as far as the shutter is concerned for my uses that still has lots of life left in it. Now my question is this, are there other parts in the camera that are susceptible to die out much like the shutter after this many pictures being taken (i.e. image sensor etc....)?
Is it a bad idea to buy a camera thats probably close to 5 years old with this many actuations? I'm either going to buy this 1d body or a 40d that is a year old that has seen much less use. (the 40d costing about 400 less then the 1d). Thanks for any advice:)

I think I'd pass on the 1d body myself, that's a lot of use and unless you know how it was used I'd be skeptical. For example, I would think studio work would be less toll on a camera than wildlife photography.

Not sure about Canon's but in the Nikon world newer is usually better for image quality, not necessarily build. For example a D90 is much better in low light than a D200 yet the D200 has a weather sealed body and more of a 'pro' layout.

Well.. it all depends on how much?

Call up Canon and ask them how much for a CLA and shutter replacement. Also find out how much it will cost for a new battery or two. These costs should be part of the decision process.

Mine is certainly up there in actuations with no signs of giving up. It still produces awesome results.

No brainer 1D every time, is it cheap a new shutter is not expensive, my 1D's have had some hammer one has more chips than Mac Donalds

i called the local canon service centre, they said it would be approx 300$ to replace the shutter should that die on me, they also told me aside fromt the shutter i shouldnt really worry too much about other components failing on that camera...
Usayit, the seller says he is including 3 batteries with the camera so i should be fine in that regard

$300!!! holy crap... that's inexpensive service for a camera that originally cost a few thousand. It cost that much just to get my Leica cleaned. :lol:

If its for a good price, go for it.

oh and Thanks... I need not worry about mine going dead.. totally reasonable to replace the shutter. Peace of mind.

Go with the 40d. You will look more "pro" with a 1d but thats about it. You will get MUCH better high iso results and battery life will be amazingly better. My friend that shoots a 1d needs to keep 3 charged batteries wherever he goes, i just have one in my d90 and it outlasts all his combined.

I had a D1h which is like the nikon equiv of a 1d but had to get rid of it due to the battery life and bad high iso. It couldnt instantly see noise at 400

btw.. reason why I brought up batteries was that they are not Li-ions they are NiMH batteries. Depending on the how they were used and if they were properly conditioned on a regular basis they may or may not be any good.

Ebay batteries are a toss up in terms of quality/reliability in my book.

Go with the 40d. You will look more "pro" with a 1d but thats about it. You will get MUCH better high iso results and battery life will be amazingly better. My friend that shoots a 1d needs to keep 3 charged batteries wherever he goes, i just have one in my d90 and it outlasts all his combined.

I had a D1h which is like the nikon equiv of a 1d but had to get rid of it due to the battery life and bad high iso. It couldnt instantly see noise at 400

Rubbish, i shot wrestling all day last saturday on 1 ebay battery, your talking about 1DMK1
ISO1600 1Dmk2
765941442_fHnzF-L.jpg

from the reviews i've read this camera does very good ISO up to 800 and 1600 is still very good. maybe i dont have as keen an eye as others but i dont really see much noise at all in that above posted pic. Gsgary, i believe this camera does 3200, how is the noise at 3200?

My friend that shoots a 1d needs to keep 3 charged batteries wherever he goes, i just have one in my d90 and it outlasts all his combined.

again... probably need to be replaced or where not taken care of. The li-ions definitely less maintenance required. I have two batteries and 1 will last close to 1000 shots before needing replacement. We are talking the original batteries that came with the camera several years ago.

I do have to admit though... running the batteries through a reconditioning cycle is a royal PITA. Takes a long time. You don't have to do it every time you recharge though.

As for the image quality of the 40D versus 1D Mark II.. nonsense... there is a lot more than just a bigger body and the IQ is probably on par if not slightly better. There is quite a bit of difference.

from the reviews i've read this camera does very good ISO up to 800 and 1600 is still very good. maybe i dont have as keen an eye as others but i dont really see much noise at all in that above posted pic. Gsgary, i believe this camera does 3200, how is the noise at 3200?

ISO3200 MK2
765942116_6SLfF-L.jpg

I was talking about the mk1

Most reactions

New Topics

Back