Need some guidance on a budget.

SamusFairchild

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, the boss told me a couple of days ago to get some decent lighting and backdrops. Whatever I need, just keep it under $1000.

I've done some portrait and small product photography at an old job, but never even considered what kind of stuff I would need for the size of product I'm now working with. I'm supposed to be getting video and photos of the machines we're shipping out - which run anywhere between 3 and 6 feet tall, and 4 to 15 feet long - and I'm a little clueless as to where to even start.

When I started, I came into two 12" Smith Victor Photoflood lights running with 2 halogen floodlights, which are cheap, used and not completely horrible. But that was it. No reflectors, softboxes, umbrellas, or ANYTHING to manipulate the sharp 25º beam that I have to place half way across the shop to light even half of the machine. Good thing I have 2... Oh yeah, and I have NO control over ambient lighting, other than resorting to shooting at night (which has actually been kind of nice... for the smaller products...)

So, I need something decent for this situation, and I have no idea where to even start looking, or what to look for. About all I got so far is that I need continuous lighting (because I need it for video, too) and a quite large softbox. I started looking, got overwhelmed, and decided advice and research were a much better place to start :D

So, do you guys have any suggestions or tips that could point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back