Need some pricing help!

JEazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright so a local band wants me to take pictures of them for there new EP that they just recorded and are selling. How much do you charge for these kind of things?

JEazy said:
...a local band wants me to take pictures...

My first thought is what do they have in mind? They thinking a studio group shot? Maybe they want you to cover a live performance? Individual shots? Do they have a layout to shoot to?

These are the sort of things I'd ask before quoting a price. Can you tell us some more about the project? I could then offer you some more specific pricing.

Pete

they wanna do like group portrait shots for there cd cover and stuff. i'm not sure if i would do it in a studio, i kind of had some ideas for some city shots.

but the thing is, i'm not a "professional" photographer. just a well known photographer in my town that i guess alot of people think is good ha. would it be wierd if i charged them if i've never done professional work? i mean, i work for the local newspaper as a staff photographer/intern, but i don't know. help me out!

well you see, my problem is that they are assuming that i will do it for free. so i would feel like an ass if i just all of a sudden said that i was going to charge them.

JEazy said:
well you see, my problem is that they are assuming that i will do it for free. so i would feel like an ass if i just all of a sudden said that i was going to charge them.

Hmmm.... Would they do a show at your house? Without pay?

On the other hand, if that's what you said you'd do, I think you have to do it.

Good luck on this.

Pete

If they are just assuming you won't charge you probably need to let them know that isn't correct. If you've told them you won't charge that's something different.

Alison said:
If they are just assuming you won't charge you probably need to let them know that isn't correct. If you've told them you won't charge that's something different.

no they just assumed i think. they did say they would send me a free cd but i don't know, i kinda need cash...

my boy in florida did ashoot of a band, and he just started takin pix, and is no pro, he just said $100 and the band was cool with that

and im no PRO, but im charging 2 G's for a wedding bling blanG

ha nice. yeah i think i'll just talk to them about it and ask for like $50 or something.

Well, your in a sticky situation. If you want a professional amount of money you need to act professional. Call them up before the shoot and tell them straight up that your going to charge them but let them know that your the cheapest they will get (and the best for your price). Don't charge over 150 though. Even better, take them out for a sample shot, a free portrait. If they like it you can name your price and theirs no way that if you stay under $150 they will bail out. You can even give them other photographers numbers but make sure you know they charge more than you do.

Most reactions

Back