Need to buy a $600 camera and make moeny

Status
Not open for further replies.
**** that i don't want him doing what i do, Carpentry is not that easy to make big money you need to be fast and precise it will take him years to be half as fast as me

I didn't realize you and he would be competing for carpentry clients in Alaska.

**** that i don't want him doing what i do, Carpentry is not that easy to make big money you need to be fast and precise it will take him years to be half as fast as me

I didn't realize you and he would be competing for carpentry clients in Alaska.

If I am not mistaken most residents use blocks of ice to build their homes in Alaska.

Save yourself and the people who will cross your path the headache. Go sell cars or cellphones or something.
How is this not insulting to people who have spent thousands of hours mastering car and cellphone sales?

There's nothing magically special about photography that makes it oh so much harder to make money at than anything else. If you're doing it as a small self employed business from scratch, that's when it's really hard. But probably mostly because of the "small, self employed business" part.

Starting your own car sales business from scratch would be as difficult or more so (and certainly require more capital).

BUT if you can get yourself a gig working for an existing business, then the slope is much shallower for starting to make money. (local newspapers, magazines, etc., or partnering with real estate people, etc.). You will need initial skills that may take a few years to develop to get a good job like this. But so would you also need years of sales experience to get the best paying cellphone and car sales positions at existing companies.

This thread:
:lol:

And
tumblr_lt28sfPhKV1r4dytpo1_500.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the suggestion was that the OP launch a car dealership or start a cell phone manufacturing venture. I think the suggestion was, essentially, "If you need money quickly, get a job that pays a wage" which is extremely sound advice.

I don't think the suggestion was that the OP launch a car dealership or start a cell phone manufacturing venture. I think the suggestion was, essentially, "If you need money quickly, get a job that pays a wage" which is extremely sound advice.
Okay, so there's basically three categories of jobs relevant to this thread:

1) Unskilled wage labor that pays minimum wage and doesn't require a resume other than not being a sex offending guy with no limbs. This is what the OP needs to get now if he needs to pay next month's rent.

2) Skilled labor in areas other than photography, which will require a resume and skills and will take some years to build up to. For instance, working at a car dealership in sales. Or starting your own bakery.

3) Skilled labor in photography, which will also require a resume and skills that will take some years to build up to. Whether it be with an existing company (newspapers for example) or starting your own business.

So we all agree that #1 is what he needs now if he is desperate for cash and doesn't know what he is doing.

My point, though, is that while he is working at a job in category #1, he might as well be training and getting the skills in his free time for a job in category #3, if photography is what makes him happiest. Because it won't be any more effort than getting a good job in category #2 later on.

mmm-kay, the OP has not commented any further in this thread but somehow it's 2 pages long.

Unless and until the OP returns and wants to continue this discussion, please refrain from posting in here again. Let him consider your posts and suggestions, and give him a chance to reply. Thankee!

Who's to say he can't make quick money in Alaska? He is in a remote area. Perhaps he has a specific photographic skill set. I don't expect there are hundreds of photographers currently working there. He could get a good digi cam for less than a $1000, read a few pages and shoot weddings, portraits etc. Geez people really like to dump on people's dreams for quick cash.

Give a man a fish. Feed him for the day. Teach a man how to fish. Feed him for a laugh time. Or something like that. I suggest reading a few books and getting an hourly job as all these fine TPF members already said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back