Need your help...getting ready to preorder the D7000

rainking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting ready to pre-order the D7000 as my first dSLR but not sure if I should order it with the kit lens or just got the body and get a different lens. Any inputs? Thanks.

I pre-ordered mine yesterday also as my first DSLR and I opted to get the kit lens with it for the extra $300. Before placing the order, I took a look at the other current standard zooms that were designed for the DX bodies and there was only one that offered any better max aperture and it was significantly more expensive (as expected). The 18-105mm kit lens is certainly not going to be the best lens available but I think for the $300 it'll make a good walking around/general purpose lens. If I end up not liking it, I'll just put it up on eBay at a small loss.

If the need for a good low light, sharp, standard lens arises, I'll just pick up the 50mm/1.8 for $100 or the 35mm/1.8 for $200 and use my legs.

Any news ofr its market release arounf the globe?

been very busy with work so I have a very small time doing some research nowadays :(

The kit lens isn't a bad offering, really. A lens that will be significantly superior will cost much, much more than the kit lens.

I would skip the kit lens and get a prime. And get the 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8.

This really only applies if a prime lens will cover your needs. Personally, having a single, fixed focal length would've been very counter-productive to the type of shooting I was interested in doing when I opted for the kit lenses with my D5000.

Fast lenses with a fixed focal length are great... but determine whether or not having a reasonable amount of zoom will be crucial to capturing the subjects you shoot. Primes may be good for portaits and the like, but will leave you wanting if your interest is nature photography, for example.

I have a fast 50mm prime that basically just collects dust most of the time. I simply need the ability to zoom when I'm out in the field.

the kit lens is not a bad lens at all, its a great walk around lens

I have that kit lens, got it with my D90. It works well, I like it. I also have a 50 1.8 which on a DX camera is more like a 75mm. I'm trying to decide between a 35mm (50.2 on a DX) or an 85 (127.5) for my next prime lens.

Bruce

I have that kit lens, got it with my D90. It works well, I like it. I also have a 50 1.8 which on a DX camera is more like a 75mm. I'm trying to decide between a 35mm (50.2 on a DX) or an 85 (127.5) for my next prime lens.

Bruce

We have the same setup.

I tried the 85mm and for outdoor portrait it could be nice, in door, its a little bit on the long side.

where do you go to preorder it?

I preordered mine from B&H... i've ordered things from there before and they are excellent.

While we are on the topic of early adoption of the D7000, what is Nikon's track record of getting it right the first time? I read something about a small recall on a small number of the D5000's that was issued very soon after release, but I hadn't really found much else.

Last edited:
Getting a prime lens will make you compose rather then zooming in or out, letting the lens do it for you. The kit lens isn't terrible just you could spend your money else where. But if you have the money get the kit lens and a 35 or 50 prime.

While we are on the topic of early adoption of the D7000, what is Nikon's track record of getting it right the first time? I read something about a small recall on a small number of the D5000's that was issued very soon after release, but I hadn't really found much else.

I don't recall any issues with the D3. Just sayin. ;)

Bruce

I've tried all three and have the 35mm. The 35mm and 50mm are a little too close together for me. Not enough difference to have both. And the 85mm is great for portraits. It is very sharp and sweet bokeh. I plan on getting the 85mm.:D

Thanks for the response. I spread out as much thanks as I could. I will get the kit lens then once I figure out what type of photography I want to do, I will just get a better glass that would perform much better.

Getting a prime lens will make you compose rather then zooming in or out, letting the lens do it for you.
Not true, with a zoom lens you still have to compose. Just because it zooms doesn't mean that the lens is doing the composing or work for you. Remember that using a longer focal length actually gives a different look than using a shorter one and walking closer, so using one zoom is often more advantageous than using two or three primes, unless you really need that 1.8 aperture. In the case of getting a first lens, the kit is good, it gives a range of focal lengths to learn with, and will allow trying of different things, thus helping to narrow down what one likes to do, and therefore what one could look at getting to help them pursue that.

Getting a prime lens will make you compose rather then zooming in or out, letting the lens do it for you......
Really? It seems it wouldn't matter if you compose by turning a ring on a zoom lens, or moving forward or backward. You are composing by altering the field-of-view either way. :scratch:

Most reactions

Back