Need your help guys ...

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
...ok .. so like I wrote in my 'off topic ' forum post ... I have found mehhh a model.

She is a budding actress , just started drama at college and she hasnt a portfolio yet due to lack of funds etc.

I offered to take some shots so we might get together not this weekend but next for a photoshoot.

I need all the help I can get basically ! Hints , tips , whateverrrr ya have. Probably will do a mixture of outdoor and some shots in my apartment ( will buy backdrop fabric etc ).

I'm probably borrowing my workmates D70 for it ( which I have never used ) :confused:

Anyway , advice on backdrops , controlling light in my apt , ways of getting her to relax even, poses , shots that would go well in an actresses portfolio etc etc would be appreciated !

Cheers in advance.

Hi Lumi... I've done actors head shots before. Has she signed with an agency? If she has, go to the agencies website and look at the online portfolios of the other actors. This will give you an idea of what that particular agency looks for.

Generally speaking, she needs enough shots to at least print a head and shoulders on one side of an 8 1/2x11 and a number of shots for the other side. The multiple shot side should include full length, indoor, outdoor... different outfits and poses, full length, three quarter length and head shots.

What is her "thing"? If she's a golfer, she'll have golf equipment to use as props..etc... showing her "versatility" is important.

As far as backdrops... don't get too nutty or creative... these pics are suppose to impress casting agents... she needs to remain the "subject of interest".

Also... don't be afraid of correctly applied makeup... a good concealer saves alot of time when you retouch...

that's all i can think of right now, but its only 4:45 am....

good luck

Bob

Hi,
The advice you just got is right on the mark. The only thing I would add is to make sure there are no hands in a headhot picture. Also, you will want to convert it to black and white for the model and offer it as well as the color headshot as many agencies still stay away from color headshots.
Have fun!

You've gotten lots of good advice already. If you haven't used a D70 before see if you can borrow it for a few days before the shoot to be familiar with it. As for helping her relax, go out for coffee or lunch before hand and talk about what she's looking for. Having a good relationship with your model is a great bonus. As for the lighting....what time of day are you shooting? Do you have access to studio lights or are you using off camera flash or trying to use natural light? If you're using natural lighting make sure to have some sort of reflector. For outside, if it's near mid-day try to find a place that has some shade so you don't end up with overexposed areas. If you can, shoot soon after dawn or a few hours before sunset.

I think you'll do great and that you'll get some excellent results! Don't forget to share them with us :D

Most reactions

Back