Need your opinion on a camera!

PicturePerfect87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,
I just started my class at a community college and its required for me to have a camera. I love taking picture and now I think its time for me to buy one. Please help me out witch camera that will fit my $500-$600 budget.

I'm torn between a couple of options...

I like the Canon G15 as it can do just about everything a DSLR can do except change lenses. My transition from film to digital started with a Canon G3. I've thought of getting a G15 as a '2nd camera' to carry around in the car, etc.

Canon PowerShot G15 Digital Camera 6350B001 B&H Photo Video

I'm also thinking of a Canon EOS-M mirrorless camera. Again, it can do much of what a DSLR can do, but at an attractive price AND it can change lenses. My current Canon EF lenses would work on it as well (with an adapter). Good price, too!

Canon EOS-M| B&H Photo Video

Although out of your price range, I'm also thinking a Canon Rebel SL1. Full DSLR, lots of room for growth.

Canon Rebel SL1| B&H Photo Video

Being a Canon shooter, I know nothing about Nikon other than how to spell their name. I've also found B&H Photo absolutely flawless in their products and customer service.

What research have you done so far?
Have you narrowed the list down to few that people here could give you pros and cons for?
What type of photography are you interested in?
Where would you like to be with your photography in a year or so.

Really, the question is a little unfair to ask people without a lot more information - its a bit like I have $30,000 ... what car should I buy?
Going to a reputable/knowledgeable photography store is good for you to crystallise what your photography needs are.
The sales people get to ask you lots of questions that then determine what direction their advice goes.
If you can get it down to a list of two or three and why, then you are likely to get much more detailed and targeted feedback.

People could spend a lot of time and effort putting together a package of information for it all to be wasted because "oh I don't want to do sports photography".

Do you want a DSLR or Point and shoot ?

If DSLR then I would recommend the Nikon D3200 for your price range.
If Point and Shoot then I send the Canon G15, fantastic camera that will indeed do most of what a DSLR can do in a much smaller package and no need to change lenses.

Hello everyone,
I just started my class at a community college and its required for me to have a camera. I love taking picture and now I think its time for me to buy one. Please help me out witch camera that will fit my $500-$600 budget.

Did the class requirement mention about what type of camera is needed for the class? If not, you may want to check with the class teacher. I remembered someone post a thread in the past that they bought the digital SLR for the class and find out it requires film based SLR instead.

Thank guys,
I asked the teacher today and he recommend for me to get a DSLR. Currently looking around online and should I look for a use one, like on craigslist or something. Do you guys think is a good Idea or just buy it brand new.

Hi PicturePerfect - you can get a great new camera from a reputable dealer between $500 and $600. If the camera doesn't work, you can send it back. If you buy from Craigslist, in most cases, you're stuck with it.

As others have mentioned, the basic DSLRs in your price range are the $547 Nikon D3200, the $597 Nikon D5100 or $588 Canon T3i. These cameras will do a great job for you, but they don't have some of the latest features (such as built-in wi-fi) and they are not waterproof.

If you plan to shoot outdoors or travel with your camera, you will run into rain or sand. With entry-level DSLRs, you have to worry about water or sand getting into your camera and damaging it. With a weathersealed camera, this is much less of a worry.

Pentax is a great brand, and makes the only weathersealed camera with a 100% viewfinder field-of-view in your price range. You can get the weatherproof Pentax K30 for $579 in black or $495 in red, for example. Here is what this camera can do: Flickr: The Pentax K-30 Pool

And here it is in the field:

Or, if you want wi-fi control of your camera with your phone or tablet - and the ability to upload your pictures to Facebook or Instagram without waiting to get home - you might want to look at a brand new $407 Samsung NX20 from BigValue via Amazon plus a new $135 20-50mm lens from eBay.

Technically, this is not a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) camera, because it doesn't have a 20th century mechanical reflex mirror in it - but the sensor is the same size as in a Nikon or Canon APS-C DSLR, and it produces images like these: Flickr: The Samsung NX20 Pool

And these: Flickr: The Samsung NX20 Camera Pool

Most of the people in your class will have Nikons or Canons - I guarantee it. And most people recommend them on internet fora. These companies make great cameras - but that's no reason for you to limit your choices to just two brands :)

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello everyone,

I would go for an entry-level DSLR with kit lens. If you decide to stick with "hobby photography" (when on vacation, at parties, ...), you'll be able to make fantastic photo's with it. If you decide to take it to the next level, it will be a perfect platform to test with, get to know the basics, learn about different lenses, ...

The Nikon D3200 is $546.96 on B&H Photo.The Nikon D5100 is $596.95. I have the D5100 (it was my first DSLR) and I adore it. If I had to do it all over again, I would by the same camera. I learned a lot about photography on it and it was a great stepping stone to my D7100. If you can swing the D5100 with the kit lens, I would do that if I were you!

Most reactions

Back