Nephew Shot

swashburn421

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this picture of my nephew a few months ago and i finally got around to it.

$Nelson B&W.jpg

He is a mischievous little one so i thought the darker face would help to show that. I only wanted the nose and eyes in focus, which i thought i got, but maybe i am a little off. Which part is badly out of focus? Thanks for your critique, i'm not trying to shoot what you have to say down, i'm just trying to show my opinion in the shot.

Only his nose is sharp, then it trails to his eyes and the rest is blurred. Making a child's photo dark is not going to enhance the mischievousness of him, it's only going to be a dark photo. He's a cute kid, but this is really a spur of the moment snapshot; even so, watch your aperture and focus and wipe his chin. ;)

I used to hate taking pics and realizing there was a shadow on the face. This isn't that bad IMO (keep in mind I am a newb). I recently got a book about posing children and found that there was one photographer in particular featured in that book who would consistently shoot them with a shadow on their face.

500 Poses for Photographing Children: A Visual Sourcebook for Digital Portrait Photographers: Michelle Perkins: 9781608954834: Amazon.com: Books

See Page 3, Plate 6 and Plate 11 (You can view on Amazon)

It must appeal to some clientele or he wouldn't have a job. The tricky part is going to be hitting the sweet spot with the focus. I am told that is the eye closest to the cam.

My gripe with your shot, is his face is a debris field. Give them a good cleaning before you bust out your camera. Unless the mess is something that adds to the images get rid of it. Boogies and crumbs... not so much.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I really love how you got some great detail in his eyes and even caught a little light in them but yes overall I do feel its a tad dark for my liking. :)

My gripe with your shot, is his face is a debris field. Give them a good cleaning before you bust out your camera. Unless the mess is something that adds to the images get rid of it. Boogies and crumbs... not so much.

:lmao: I missed that till I viewed at full size.

Most reactions

Back